Google GID

Luisella Massimi

Dec 21, 2022, 4:06:33 AM12/21/22
to Authorized Buyers API Forum
HI,
I'd like to have more information about the google User ID.
Is it an identification Code?
What exactly does it identify?
Does it identify the session the devise the user or something else?

Thank you,
Luisella

Mark Saniscalchi

Dec 21, 2022, 11:11:51 AM12/21/22
to Authorized Buyers API Forum
Hello Luisella,

A good place to start if you want to learn more about the Google User ID and its usage would be the Cookie Matching guide. In short, the Google User ID would be a bidder-specific ID generated for a particular user on our end. It becomes useful for purposes like remarketing when matched to an ID for the user you have generated on your end, because then in subsequent bid requests you'll be able to map the google_user_id sent in the bid request to your ID, and use your data about that ID to inform your bidding logic. As a concrete example, consider a scenario where a user purchases a bicycle from your website. Assuming you were using a cookie matching flow that uses the Google User ID and a match was already made, in response to a future bid request containing that google_user_id, you could hypothetically use your data about the bicycle purchase to show a more relevant ad such as one for bicycle equipment like helmets, or increase/decrease your bid accordingly.

It's worth noting that not all flows–such as unidirectional cookie matching and pixel matching–share the Google User ID for matching purposes or in bid requests. This might be relevant if you're interested in inventory based in California, which you can learn more about here.

Finally, if you're only now beginning to work in this space, I would advise that you also track the development of alternatives that are currently in an experimental phase, such as FLEDGE. We don't currently support those topics on this forum, but proposals and feedback are gathered here.

Regards,
Mark