IFA Delivery response of "UNKNOWN_ID"

Tyler Bui

May 1, 2024, 5:20:53 PMMay 1
to Authorized Buyers API Forum
Hi everyone,

We are sending IFAs and getting some responses back, mainly "UNKNOWN_ID". What does this mean exactly, does it mean your side doesn't know about that ID, or is the ID invalid or non-existent?

Mark Saniscalchi

May 2, 2024, 12:34:45 PMMay 2
to Authorized Buyers API Forum
Hello Tyler,

I'm assuming that you're referring to IDFAs in the context of the bulk uploader utility? It's a legacy API that unfortunately has a good deal of room for improvement with its error responses, but your interpretation of UNKNOWN_ID is basically correct. If you see that returned in the response, it typically means that a mapping doesn't exist for the ID on our end. One caveat is that it can act as a catch-all for some undefined internal issues (despite the existence of a distinct INTERNAL_ERROR value), but this isn't common. You would receive a different error in the event that the ID were invalid. Even a valid IDFA has no utility in terms of targeting until the mapping is made, so attempts to add it to a user list are rejected. It's not so unusual to see this response in general if you're uploading many IDFAs.

Regards,
Mark

Tyler Bui

May 2, 2024, 5:12:19 PMMay 2
to Authorized Buyers API Forum
Hi Mark,

Appreciate the feedback! Yes, we are using the bulk uploader service.

Tyler Bui

May 2, 2024, 5:16:05 PMMay 2
to Authorized Buyers API Forum
When you say mapping, you mean it's an ID you cannot find on your end? And this is across other data providers?

Authorized Buyers API Forum Advisor

May 3, 2024, 11:58:26 AMMay 3
to google-doubleclick-a...@googlegroups.com
Hello Tyler,

> When you say mapping, you mean it's an ID you cannot find on your end? And this is across other data providers?
At a high level, I can say that the IDFA must be mapped to an identifier used on our end in order for it to be added to a user list. Hypothetically, a fresh device that has not accessed any apps would have an IDFA, but wouldn't be mapped on our end. In that case, even despite it being a valid IDFA, attempting to add it to a user list would result in the UNKNOWN_ID error.

Regards,
Mark

ref:!00D1U01174p.!5004Q02tIr1b:ref