Cookie-matching, which value to provide to gdpr_consent if no TCF

MatMatJ

Jan 30, 2024, 9:15:54 AMJan 30
to Authorized Buyers API Forum
Hi,
 we have some advertisers who have not implemented a TCFv2 CMP, hence we do not have access to the TCString as it does not exists.

 What value shall we pass in the gdpr_consent parameter if the user is in EU and the advertiser works with a non TCFv2 CMP ?

 Thanks.

Mark Saniscalchi

Jan 30, 2024, 12:58:00 PMJan 30
to Authorized Buyers API Forum
Hello,

My expectation is that match tags for users in affected regions lacking these parameters would be ignored, but given that there is a ramp-up period where warnings are returned (but the call proceeds) for related parameters like process_consent, I'd like to verify the specifics in this case by discussing with eng and clarifying the behavior in the guide if needed. I'll follow up here once I have confirmed the behavior.

Regards,
Mark

Mark Saniscalchi

Jan 30, 2024, 6:33:48 PMJan 30
to Authorized Buyers API Forum
Hello,

So following discussion w/ the TL who manages the cookie matching service, it sounds like you have some options. Strictly speaking, failing to populate gdpr_consent with a TC string when gdpr=1 will result in dropped matches in the very near future. Alternatively, you may want to use process_consent if it is not possible for you / your advertisers to produce a TC string–it is described here. Finally, in Google-initiated cookie matching flows, Google would only place a match tag in instances where consent was granted. With this in mind, I'd recommend either making use of process_consent or using a different cookie matching workflow.

Regards,
Mark

MatMatJ

Jan 31, 2024, 7:03:12 AMJan 31
to Authorized Buyers API Forum
Thanks for coming back to us! I guess that's the only way to do it properly.

Would you be able to provide us with the default TCstring we should use in this case ? That way we are sure we won't have any issues once we set-it up on our end.

Best,
Mathieu

Mark Saniscalchi

Jan 31, 2024, 4:40:53 PMJan 31
to Authorized Buyers API Forum

Hello Mathieu,

Generating TC strings is out of scope for this alias, but examples can be found elsewhere such as in the IAB content describing the spec. Given that TC strings describe the consent for an individual user, you would need to produce a different string for each to reflect the purposes to which the user consents.

Regards,
Mark

MatMatJ

Feb 1, 2024, 3:38:26 PMFeb 1
to Authorized Buyers API Forum
Ok thanks, we'll see with the advertisers then.
Best,
Mathieu