installed-dependencies/images manifests end abruptly at m96

Kirill “kkm” Katsnelson

Feb 19, 2023, 3:47:50 AM2/19/23
to google-dl-platform
Greetings,

I have never installed DLVM images yet. I use DL containers on my own machine, but now I need more GPU than I have. Apologies if the question that I'm asking is a common knowledge. I'm generally experienced with GCE, but not at all with DLVM images.

The documentation refers to per-milestone lists of installed DLVM packages being available in gs://deeplearning-platform-release/installed-dependencies/images, but the bucket in fact contains only those of the milestones from m87 through m96 inclusive. The current milestone has been m103, AFAIK. Are these lists published elsewhere now, or not at all anymore? It's not a biggie to spin up a few VMs form different images and have a look around, but a manifest could be indeed helpful.

My main concern is, naturally, the python3 version. Some packages, such as the latest matplotlib, need 3.8+, and Debian 10 came with 3.5 if not even more ancient, thoroughly tangled with it and not upgradable (unlike rel.11, which has trudged over its minor points from 3.7 up to 3.9), unless you've customized it—which I guess you have, if only for Ampere drivers support. :) Debian 12 is already in feature frost, and a week away from freezing stone-hard. Debian 10 goes non-current as at the rel. 12. I prefer Debian to Ubuntu for its stability since having run into a couple of dog dinners because of their haphazard updates. It would be awesome to have a DLVM option based on a more recent Debian version!

Thanks,

 -kkm

Kirill “kkm” Katsnelson

Feb 26, 2023, 1:11:48 PM2/26/23