What is sandbox mode and how to use it?

Aidis Stukas

Apr 20, 2021, 6:52:53 AM4/20/21
to Google Content API for Shopping
In the API docs I did not find detailed explanation about how to use sandbox methods for development. There is just a brief description that it is better to have a separate merchant account that is used only for testing.
But what is the purpose of sandbox methods, and how should they be used in development flow?
I see that some sandbox methods are there to force change in product status and etc.
But what about general flow. Should I just turn on sandbox=True for all calls to the API when doing development?

Shopping API Forum Advisor Prod

Apr 21, 2021, 2:57:47 AM4/21/21
to ai...@sixads.net, google-content-...@googlegroups.com

Hello there,

I’m James from the Content API Team. Thank you for reaching out.

Do you mean by sandbox method is the sandbox mode under the Orders API? If yes, here’s our documentation about Sandbox mode. Indeed, based on our testing document, we require users to create a separate merchant account devoted solely for testing purposes, the main reason for is, so that you can test your code that uses Content API for Shopping without affecting the active feed or your Shopping Campaigns.

But what is the purpose of sandbox methods, and how should they be used in development flow?

>> The main purpose of sandbox mode is for experimenting and issuing test requests for orders API. Also, the sandbox mode supports the following additional methods that production mode does not: createtestorderadvancetestorder and gettestordertemplate.

I see that some sandbox methods are there to force change in product status and etc.

But what about general flow. Should I just turn on sandbox=True for all calls to the API when doing development?

>> I believe that you should only use Sandbox mode, if you’re only going to test your codes which the Orders API is integrated. While, for testing other API calls like the products, products statuses, accounts and etc., we highly recommend that you follow our testing documentation.

If you need more further explanation about Sandbox, please let us know.

Regards,

Google Logo
James Howell Abarsoza
Content API for Shopping Team