Keep v2.0 running please

Rob Daniels

Sep 11, 2021, 8:08:04 AM9/11/21
to Google Content API for Shopping
Why force us to migrate to 2.1? I'm sure many users (including myself) are not going to use the new 2.1 features and we're happy with my 2.0 setup. Also upgrading is obviously not easy and there is no way to verify once upgraded without more complex programming.

Shopping API Forum Advisor

Sep 15, 2021, 7:15:43 AM9/15/21
to r.da...@gmail.com, google-content-...@googlegroups.com

Hello Rob,

James here from the Content API Team. Thank you for contacting us.

I completely understand your current standpoint. However, we believe that it’s important and necessary to implement changes within the API, in order to improve its performance, automation, better user experience and advancements.

Having said that, I highly encourage you to migrate to the latest version of API, because once the old version (v2.0) has sunset, all the requests made within that version of the Content API for Shopping will fail and you will encounter unexpected failures. Also, we will no longer be able to provide support for that version.

Here are some highlights within the latest version of API:

  • A more consistent product validation experience. Product insert requests no longer report non-fatal warnings or errors. This allows you to insert products and make subsequent updates to resolve issues via feed rules in the Merchant Center UI, just as you would with feeds maintained outside the API.
  • A better experience for managing Shopping Actions. Multiple improvements have been made to the Orders API based on feedback from beta users.
  • More features are on the way! Today's release contains many improvements, but more are on the way, including new ways to supply local inventory data and features to support supplemental feeds.

On the other hand, if you’re having difficulties implementing the new version of API, I believe that you can reach out to us so that we can guide you through the process. Moreover, I believe that it doesn’t require complex programming to test the changes to your application after migrating to v2.1. Instead, you just need to follow this `Testing your migration` guide. To know more about the said migration, please refer to this blog post.

Hoping for your understanding.

Regards,

Google Logo
James Howell Abarsoza