RE: Product Categories missing from "products" endpoint

Message has been deleted

Shopping API Forum Advisor Prod

Jan 21, 2021, 8:50:12 AM1/21/21
to kevi...@gmail.com, google-content-...@googlegroups.com
Hi  Google Shopping Team

merchant center account: xxxxxxx
We are having problem to fetch products' "googleProductCategory" when using google's auto assigned categories.

here is the screenshot of one of the product: xxxxx
However, we can confirm all the products have google auto assigned categories: xxxxxxxx
Please advice how can we fetch the google assigned product categories

Thank you very much.

Kevin

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2B1tIl:ref

Shopping API Forum Advisor Prod

Jan 21, 2021, 9:03:21 AM1/21/21
to kevi...@gmail.com, google-content-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin,

I have redacted your post online since the post contains sensitive information. For any future posts, please make sure not to post sensitive information on the forum. The current behavior of API is to return the attributes provided by the merchants. For more information please refer to the googleProductCategory description in the link: https://developers.google.com/shopping-content/reference/rest/v2.1/products?hl=en

I will forward your request as a feature request to the rest of the team. Please keep an eye on the blog for feature announcements and future releases.
https://ads-developers.googleblog.com/search/label/content_api

Thanks,

Google Logo
Lakshmi Prathipati
Content API for Shopping Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2B1tIl:ref

Shin

Jan 22, 2021, 11:39:09 AM1/22/21
to Shopping API Forum Advisor Prod, google-content-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lakshmi

If I understand correctly, shopping API 2.1 only returns product categories only if the merchant supplied them. On the other hand, the crawling feature has become extremely popular nowadays,
and in most cases, the categories are all auto assigned by google. This will become a major bug/discrepancies, if merchants can see the auto assigned product categories in the UI but no getting any
using the API.

Are there any ways we can retrieve product categories via API?

Thank you. Regards

Kevin

Shopping API Forum Advisor Prod

Jan 24, 2021, 10:20:59 PM1/24/21
to kevi...@gmail.com, google-content-...@googlegroups.com

Hello Kevin,

I’m James, I work along with Lakshmi. Thank you for your response.

The API should return the product categories whether you set the value of the product category or it is auto generated by the merchant center backend.

To retrieve the product categories via API, you can use the products.list method under googleProductCategory field. Based on our documentation, the products.list allows you to view the list of all products within your merchant center account. If you already used this method to retrieve the googleProductCategoy but you were not able to retrieve the value of it, then please provide the complete API request and response logs in JSON format so we can look into it.

On the other hand, regarding website crawling feature you reach out to the merchant center support team as they are more knowledgeable with this feature. You can contact the merchant support team through this contact us form or by 'Help center and support' option under the 'Help' button of your merchant center account.

Regards,

Google Logo
James Howell Abarsoza
Content API for Shopping Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2B1tIl:ref

Shopping API Forum Advisor Prod

Jan 24, 2021, 10:39:21 PM1/24/21
to kevi...@gmail.com, google-content-...@googlegroups.com

Hello Kevin,

I want to clarify my answer on my previous email.

I confirmed that  your understanding is correct, that the API only returns product categories if its value has been supplied by the merchant as referred to this documentation. That said, it is not possible to retrieve the googleProductCategory with the auto generated value via API.

Let me know if you have further questions on this.

Regards,

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2B1tIl:ref

Shin

Jan 29, 2021, 2:31:27 PM1/29/21
to Shopping API Forum Advisor Prod, google-content-...@googlegroups.com
Hi James

Thank you very much for clarifying, and btw, there is the screenshot of the curl result for fetching one product from the API.
It confirmed that the google auto generated categories are not retrievable.
image.png

So now, back to my question earlier:
 This will become a major bug/discrepancies, if merchants can see the auto assigned product categories in the UI but no getting any
using the API.

This does affect a lot of our clients currently.

Do you have any plan addressing this issue sooner?

Thank you very much

Kevin

Shopping API Forum Advisor Prod

Feb 1, 2021, 3:04:38 AM2/1/21
to kevi...@gmail.com, google-content-...@googlegroups.com

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for your reply.

Let me raise this to the rest of the team so we can have a deeper analysis on this and if this feature would be possible through Content API. Rest assured that we will keep you posted. You may also follow our blog for the latest updates on the API.