Restore a deleted cloud storage bucket

Alex

Jan 29, 2022, 4:31:05 PM1/29/22
to google-cloud-storage-discuss
Hi,

We run a small startup on Google cloud and host all our image files on a cloud storage bucket without backup, and by a mistake, we deleted the whole bucket a few hours ago. Our whole business is down now like a disaster.

I know the public policy is no restore for deleted bucket, but we are desperate on this. As a former cloud engineer, I guess there could be a way to restore the deleted bucket by some work around (not in a public route) before too late.

Can google engineer support help this?

Sivaranjani Malli Jawaharlal

Jan 30, 2022, 1:35:57 PM1/30/22
to google-cloud-storage-discuss
We would be happy to assist you in the restoration process, but as a caveat we're required to communicate with you that the restoration operation on Google Cloud Storage is done once per customer. Henceforth you (your organization by extension) won't be able to use the restoration process again. We would also like to mention that recovery of any deleted data is not guaranteed. We'll require the following information for us to get started with the restoration process request: 1. Can you please confirm that the bucket that you want to restore ? 2. Deletion date and time interval(with timezone) for the bucket that you'd like to restore 3. Expected count of the number of objects to be restored and total size of the objects Also, as you deleted the bucket, please create the bucket with the exact same name and properties as earlier. EXACT SAME NAME EXACT SAME REGION EXACT SAME ACLs EXACT SAME STORAGE CLASS In addition you'd need to take one of the following data loss prevention measures: 1. Enable Bucket Lock policy[0] 2. Enable Object Versioning[1] Note that the approvals that we would need for this process may take a while as it has to go through several levels of approval. [0] https://cloud.google.com/storage/docs/bucket-lock [1] https://cloud.google.com/storage/docs/object-versioning

Sincerely,

Sivaranjani,
Google Cloud Platform Support, Montreal

Alex

Jan 31, 2022, 10:29:14 AM1/31/22
to google-cloud-storage-discuss
Hi,

We really appreciate your support on this and will configure the backup right after the recovery. Please contact us if any information/approval is needed anytime. (mobile : 206-565-8915). Please share an official ticket for visibility if any.

Regarding the recovery timeline, when will the recovery occur roughly with the approvals? We'd like to figure out the timing since our dev team needs to align our system db with the bucket recovery event and schedule customer-facing communication about this accident.

We sent a specific information to your email.

Thanks

Sivaranjani Malli Jawaharlal

Jan 31, 2022, 1:59:35 PM1/31/22
to google-cloud-storage-discuss

Hi Alex,

As I mentioned on my previous message, recovery of any deleted data is not guaranteed. Bucket restore works only for recent deletions. If the operation is too old, the bucket is wiped out for good.

Please create a case [1] with all the information I asked in my last message and one of our team member will assist you in the restoration.

Thanks,
Sivaranjani

Alex

Jan 31, 2022, 3:54:32 PM1/31/22
to google-cloud-storage-discuss
thank you. I created the case as advised. I do understand no guarantee but hopefully it can be restored as the deletion operation is not that old (3 days ago)