CloudSQL SqlServer user not able to access database

Nara Ramakrishnan

Sep 16, 2020, 8:53:57 PM9/16/20
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
 hav an application running on Compute Engine which was created with a specific userid thats used to access database services.  Earlier the database was on SQLServer Express edition hosted on the same CE.  migrated the express edition database to CloudSQL SqlServer 2017 standard edition.

In addition to the default "sqlserver" user created by CloudSQL,  created a new user with the same credentials as the user used by the application.

able to connect from the VM using Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio to the CloudSQL instance and can see the System Databases and the new DB that was crated. However when opening the new DB keep getting the following error message

"The database ******* is not accessible. (ObjectExplorer)"

we definitely need to t get connectivity to the database with the user  that the app uses since the app user can't be modified at the application level

Elliott (Google Cloud Platform Support)

Sep 17, 2020, 6:57:44 PM9/17/20
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Hello,

When did this behavior begin? Were you able to connect to it before? Has anything changed?

Nara Ramakrishnan

Sep 18, 2020, 12:55:21 PM9/18/20
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
I managed to enable the connectivity for the app user ....and now they are able to connect and access  the database using SSMS  ...however now we seem to have another issue when the application is trying to connect .....here is what I see in the db logs

Login failed for user 'a4a5747f1dc7123\a4a5747f1dc7123$'. Reason: Token-based server access validation failed with an infrastructure error. Login lacks connect endpoint permission. [CLIENT: 127.0.0.1]

Jan Libera

Sep 23, 2020, 3:54:15 PM9/23/20
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Hi,

Regarding the "Login failed for user" error. The Cloud SQL product team have been made aware of this issue and we are currently waiting on a roll out of the fix from Microsoft. Microsoft seems have released an update in which the Customer Experience Improvement Program [1] (CEIP) has been removed from the product (more information through this link [2]).

Currently, the workaround for this issue is to grant CONNECT permission on your Cloud SQL Endpoint (localhost)[3] endpoint to public. However, this wouldn't be recommended for production instance. Disabling CEIP only disables the upload to Microsoft and not the collection of data which is what results in the error.

Daria Aleksich

Feb 2, 2022, 5:50:24 AM2/2/22
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Hello,
Im facing the same issue. Has this not been resolved?
Thank you for help in advance!

Lluis Munoz Ladron de Guevara

Feb 4, 2022, 10:21:23 AM2/4/22
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Hi,

There are multiple possible causes for that issue, we need more information to assess what the root cause of your specific issue is.

For that reason I encourage you to open a support case, that way we can investigate if there is an issue in your Cloud SQL SQL server instance.