Cloud SQL Proxy invalid json coming from Docker Compose

Justis Gipson

Nov 11, 2021, 11:42:37 AM11/11/21
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Learning as I go here, but ran into an issue running the cloud_sql_proxy from a compose file.

`cloudsql-proxy    | 2021/11/11 15:57:39 invalid json file "app/secrets/cloudsql/credentials.json": open app/secrets/cloudsql/credentials.json: no such file or directory`

The error is only occurring when ran from in the docker-compose file. When I run it locally it works as expected.

I have a feeling it's how the volumes are mounted, but I am not sure at this point.

I've tried everything I have read in the docs, GCP Slack community & StackOverflow - nothing has helped.

Here's my compose:

version: '3'

services:
# Gonna have to figure this out...
#
cloudsql-proxy:
container_name: cloudsql-proxy
env_file:
- ./.dev.env
restart: always
volumes:
- credentials:/app
ports:
- 5432:5432
command: /cloud_sql_proxy -credential_file=app/secrets/cloudsql/ -instances=XXPROJECT_IDXX:XXREGIONXX:XXDB_NAMEXX=tcp:0.0.0.0:5432 &
# depends_on:
# - feathers

feathers:
build:
context: .
dockerfile: dockerfile
restart: always
working_dir: /app
volumes:
- ./:/app
- node_modules_cache:/app/node_modules/
ports:
- 3030:3030
env_file:
- ./.dev.env
command: 'npm run dev'
depends_on:
- cloudsql-proxy

volumes:
credentials:
node_modules_cache:

Any insight into why the compose file is telling me the json is invalid would be helpful.

Justis Gipson

Nov 11, 2021, 12:03:34 PM11/11/21
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
For what it's worth in the cloud_sql_proxy command in the first container I do include the file name "credentials.json" just forget to include it here

rwabukumba

Nov 12, 2021, 6:53:20 AM11/12/21
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Hi,

Based on the error message, it does appear there is a missing secret perhaps due to how volumes are mounted.

Please consult this docker file structure guide, then carefully follow the steps in our guide on how to connect to a Cloud SQL proxy

If the issue persists, I suggest opening a support case (include the docs you have been using as guide, as well as the solutions you have tried so far) so GCP support can look into this further.