Custom usernames, uids and gids on SLURM GCP cluster

Bo Langgaard Lind

Feb 24, 2021, 10:04:33 AM2/24/21
to google-cloud-slurm-discuss
We would like to align the usernames, uids and gids on our on-prem systems and on our GCP SLURM cluster.

I have two questions:
  1. How is it possible to get OS Login to use username instead of username_domain_com?
  2. Is it possible to decide what the uids etc are for each account? (Wyatt touches upon that here: https://groups.google.com/g/google-cloud-slurm-discuss/c/zQ7Vyub9pR8/m/mT3rC3q9AgAJ )
FWIW we have G Suite Business (I think it's called these days.)

We're also using, as per the default, OS Login on the SLURM GCP cluster.

-Bo

Keith Binder

Feb 24, 2021, 10:09:47 AM2/24/21
to Bo Langgaard Lind, google-cloud-slurm-discuss

Hi Bo,

OS Login will use information within the Directory API of GSuite.

Per here, you can modify the username, uid, gid, etc attributes for your users in lieu of the username_domain_com default.

Thanks,

Keith

Joseph Schoonover

Feb 24, 2021, 10:10:06 AM2/24/21
to Bo Langgaard Lind, google-cloud-slurm-discuss
Hey Bo,
You have a few options.
If you go into your admin panel (admin.google.com) there is an option for removing the domain extension on the posix usernames : https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/oslogin/manage-oslogin-in-an-org#manage-oslogin-api
Alternatively, a Workspace or GSuite administrator can use the user.insert calls from the Directory API to manage POSIX user information including uid and default gid. https://developers.google.com/admin-sdk/directory/reference/rest/v1/users/insert
A  manageable way to do this is to use Google Sheets with Apps Script to manage user information.
Keep in mind the Cloud Identity schema for users does not handle multiple gid's if you are in multiple groups. Instead, we recommend using Google groups to mirror Linux groups on on-premise systems, and store necessary information in group metadata.

The content of this email is confidential and intended for the recipient specified in message only. It is strictly forbidden to share any part of this message with any third party, without a written consent of the sender. If you received this message by mistake, please reply to this message and follow with its deletion, so that we can ensure such a mistake does not occur in the future.

Dr. Joseph Schoonover

Chief Executive Officer

Senior Research Software Engineer

j...@fluidnumerics.com

Bo Langgaard Lind

Mar 2, 2023, 3:26:28 AM3/2/23
to google-cloud-slurm-discuss
From over two years ago. I still haven't found the place in Google Workspace where one can set the gid/uid etc., but I did get rid of the pesky user_company_name_com usernames by disabling OS Login in the SLURM configuration.

Joseph Schoonover

Mar 2, 2023, 7:39:15 AM3/2/23
to Bo Langgaard Lind, google-cloud-slurm-discuss

Joseph Schoonover

Mar 2, 2023, 7:41:29 AM3/2/23
to Bo Langgaard Lind, google-cloud-slurm-discuss
I'll add this is not a "place" in the workspace admin panel. You need to write code to set uid and gid (a long with other PosixAccount information) with the directory api.

If you're tired of the slog and want help, let me know.