Adding new users to SLURM deployment

Chathika Weerasuriya

Jun 16, 2022, 11:56:03 AM6/16/22
to google-cloud-slurm-discuss
Hi,

This is probably a very simple question, but despite spending a number of hours on it, I have not succeeded in adding a new user to a small SLURM cluster that I have created.

To be clear the owner (me) can access the login node, run jobs, etc.

I'm trying to now create new users for my lab group members.

So far I have:
  • Added IAM roles for each, using their some...@gmail.com, with a Compute OS Login role
  • Added the enable_oslogin=TRUE key to project metadata
  • Using the Compute Engine Default Service account credentials (as a JSON file), tried to use the Python client libraries to push HTTP requests:
  1. google.auth.transport.requests to push an HTTP PUT request using the Admin Directory v1 API - this did not work, returning 'Bad Request'
  2. the OS Login API, using build("oslogin", "v1", creds) and try to execute an importsshpublickeys - this says permission denied, i.e., that the service account credentials I am using do not have authorisation to modify a user.
  • I also tried making a POSIX user on the login node manually and adding an SSH pubkey to authorized_keys - no dice, though I suspect that is because OS Login is enabled.

Could someone please point me to how I (as project owner and nominal cluster administrator), could (1) create new users; and (2) add their SSH public keys?

I am probably overcomplicating it, but I just cannot figure it out!

NB: I am trying to avoid my lab members having to install gcloud.

Thanks very much

Chathika Weerasuriya

Alex Chekholko

Jun 16, 2022, 12:11:27 PM6/16/22
to Chathika Weerasuriya, google-cloud-slurm-discuss
Hi Chathika,

I think that for "Compute OS Login" to work for addresses (Google Accounts) outside of your main domain/organization, you also need to add them to the top-level IAM in your org with role "Compute OS Login External User". I don't remember where I learned that.

They will certainly need to install gcloud sdk as that's what handles the auth and the tunneling and so on; there is a bunch of auto-magic underneath.

IIRC by default the networking is configured so you can't SSH in directly anyway (separate VPC with Cloud NAT).

Regards,
Alex

Chathika Weerasuriya

Jun 16, 2022, 12:16:23 PM6/16/22
to google-cloud-slurm-discuss
Hi Alex,

Thanks for your reply. I'll try adding the new users as External Users, though this project doesn't belong to an organisation or a Google Workspace, so I am not sure what external means in this context.

Out of interest, I have managed to plain SSH (without gcloud) through the external IP address of the login node using my SSH private key, so perhaps there is some route there?

Thanks,

Chathika