Sockets unreliable once deployed

jg...@marblemedia.com

Jun 21, 2016, 11:22:19 AM6/21/16
to google-cloud-sdk
I am working on building a prototype atm that utilizes nodeJs, express, and express-ws. The app utilizes websockets for sending data to client views. When i test the app locally through the emulator I get 100% of the responses back. When i test on gcloud appspot server the websocket sends are only received maybe 30% of the time. I am not sure what the issues is. Is gcloud a reasonable platform for this type of activity?

Zachary Newman

Jun 21, 2016, 11:26:44 AM6/21/16
to jg...@marblemedia.com, google-c...@googlegroups.com
-google-c...@googlegroups.com, which is for questions about the Cloud SDK specifically (not the deployed environment).
+google-c...@googlegroups.com, which is a better venue for this sort of question.

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 11:22 AM, <jg...@marblemedia.com> wrote:
I am working on building a prototype atm that utilizes nodeJs, express, and express-ws. The app utilizes websockets for sending data to client views. When i test the app locally through the emulator I get 100% of the responses back. When i test on gcloud appspot server the websocket sends are only received maybe 30% of the time. I am not sure what the issues is. Is gcloud a reasonable platform for this type of activity?

jg...@marblemedia.com

Jun 21, 2016, 11:39:29 AM6/21/16
to google-cloud-sdk
Doing a bit more investigation into logs. The callback for the client.send() never gets fired so no error is being logged.

Zachary Newman

Jun 21, 2016, 1:43:02 PM6/21/16
to jg...@marblemedia.com, google-c...@googlegroups.com
-google-c...@googlegroups.com, which is for questions about the Cloud SDK specifically (not the deployed environment).
+google-c...@googlegroups.com, which is a better venue for this sort of question.

Adam (Cloud Platform Support)

Jun 25, 2016, 2:17:31 PM6/25/16
to google-cloud-sdk, jg...@marblemedia.com, google-c...@googlegroups.com
There are some issues using Web Sockets on the App Engine flexible environment. See the following issue tracker entries for details:

As a workaround you may need to host your application on Google Compute Engine instances directly.