Memorystore for Redis Upgrade from 3.2 to 4.0

and...@couchfunk.de

Jul 12, 2019, 9:56:43 AM7/12/19
to Google Cloud Memorystore Discuss
Hi,

now that Cloud Memorystore for Redis 4.0 is GA, is there / will there be an upgrade path for existing instances?
So far it seems the edit instance dialog won't let me change the version.
Is setting up a completely new instance really the only way to go for a upgrade?

Thank you and kind regards,
Andreas

sva...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2019, 5:45:12 AM7/31/19
to Google Cloud Memorystore Discuss
Hi Andreas,

have you found anything new meanwhile?

This is the thing we are trying to solve too. AFAIK there is currently no upgrade path for existing instances without a downtime provided by GCP. You can use some custom tooling https://github.com/AlexStocks/redis-tool-set/blob/master/readme.md#redis-data-migration , from which RedisShake looks most promising https://github.com/alibaba/RedisShake. I'm going to play with it in a while so can share experience later.

Anyway, i wonder if and when there is support for Redis 5.x coming to the Cloud Memorystore so that we don't need upgrade twice (AWS ElastiCache already supports 5.x).

Good luck

Srishti Srivastava

Jul 31, 2019, 2:47:10 PM7/31/19
to sva...@gmail.com, Google Cloud Memorystore Discuss
Hi

We are working on a migration path right now for customer. Unfortunately we don't have an ETA to share yet. We'll update here once we have a crisper ETA locked down.

Thanks,
Srishti

sva...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2019, 11:23:46 PM7/31/19
to Google Cloud Memorystore Discuss
Hi Srishti,

wow, thanks for sharing interesting news, i can't wait to be implemented, as the upgrade is really painful now.

Stano