gRPC reflection support

Jan Krynauw

Jul 20, 2022, 9:30:23 AM7/20/22
to Google Cloud Endpoints
Hi

We are moving all our services over to gRPC running on Google Cloud Run. Does the ESPv2 proxy support Server Reflection?  (https://github.com/grpc/grpc-go/blob/master/Documentation/server-reflection-tutorial.md)

Regards
Jan

Teju Nareddy

Jul 20, 2022, 11:18:22 AM7/20/22
to Jan Krynauw, Google Cloud Endpoints
Hi Jan, no we do not. Is this a strong requirement for you? Can you provide more details on your use case?
Generally gRPC clients have the service definition, so they do not need gRPC reflection.

Teju Nareddy

nare...@google.com

Software Engineer

Jan Krynauw

Jul 20, 2022, 11:31:06 AM7/20/22
to Teju Nareddy, Google Cloud Endpoints
Hi Teju, thanks for your reply.

I just came across an article by Postman (https://blog.postman.com/latest-advancements-to-postmans-grpc-support/) which has been pushing gRPC support which triggered the question.

At the moment our developers are using local clients (in go, python etc.), grpcurl, BloomRPC to make gRPC calls, all of which need to have the protos locally (incl. all the relevant imports (google.protobuf... google.api... our own etc.) available).  Potentially using Postman to simply point to the url seemed like a really simple way to get started in the gRPC world.

Kind regards,
Jan

Jan Krynauw

Jul 20, 2022, 11:45:42 AM7/20/22
to Teju Nareddy, Google Cloud Endpoints
And related, simply linking to an ESPv2 proxy (which by design contains all details of the proto, i.e. Service object), one could potentially point to a ESPv2 proxy and import the entire API.

Screenshot 2022-07-20 at 17.43.36.png

Kind regards,
Jan