Impact of Upgrading to GKE v1.25 on Cloud Builder's kubectl

小野康介

Aug 19, 2022, 5:32:44 PM8/19/22
to Google Cloud Developers
Hi

The URL[1] in the link states that in GKE v1.25, the existing OSS kubectl requires downloading and using a separate authentication plugin to generate GKE-specific tokens. I would appreciate it if you could let me know if you are aware of the same issue with Cloud Builder's kubectl[2].

Thanks

Rogelio Monter

Sep 22, 2022, 5:55:47 PM9/22/22
to Google Cloud Developers

After reaching the Cloud Build team, I’ve got the next answer to your concern:

    Following the steps in the Verify installation section in the documentation, using the following cloudbuild.yaml:

    steps:

      - name: 'gcr.io/cloud-builders/kubectl'

        entrypoint: 'gke-gcloud-auth-plugin'

        args: ['--version']

     You get the following output:

    FETCHSOURCE

    BUILD

    Already have image (with digest): gcr.io/cloud-builders/kubectl

    Kubernetes v1.24.0-alpha+f42d1572e39979f6f7de03bd163f8ec04bc7950d

    PUSH

     DONE

    Therefore, it can be assured that kubectl should continue to function with GKE clusters for GKE 1.26+

    Note that the Cloud Build kubectl page mentions the following images as alternatives for kubectl:

    These images are confirmed to have the required auth plugin.

Note that this group was migrated to the Google Cloud Community Forums and is not accepting new messages.

Below, you can find the link of the Google Cloud Community Forums for Cloud Build:
https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/forums/filteredbylabelpage/board-id/cloud-developer-tools/label-name/Cloud%2520Build