How to upload m4a audio files to Cloud Speech API - asynchronous speech recognition

Lauren Morel

Jul 9, 2017, 2:59:45 AM7/9/17
to Google Cloud Developers
Hi, I am trying to do a simple(?) task in Speech API.  I just want to upload some audio files, of voice recorded interviews of about 20 minutes in length each, and have a transcript sent to my email.  I've uploaded these audio files to my Bucket, they are in m4a format.  Is there a way to trigger the Cloud Speech API to run whenever a new audio file is uploaded into the Bucket, and then email a transcript to a certain email address?  I really thought this process would be  a lot simpler but I don't know where to start.  I know some HTML but am not familiar with other types of programming.

If this is too complex, is there is there a place I can manually upload the audio files, and download the text transcript?  I have not been able to find it.  I have set up a bucket, a service account key, and assigned billing.  i'm just not seeing where/how to instruct Speech to read my audio files in my bucket.  Please help.

Yannick (Cloud Platform Support)

Jul 10, 2017, 10:28:58 AM7/10/17
to Google Cloud Developers
Hello Lauren,

The Speech API (Application Programming Interface) is intended to be used through programming, so there is no manual interface available for it through the Cloud Console.

If you were to tackle this issue yourself the best way would be using Cloud Functions that respond to Cloud Storage events such as a new file being uploaded to a bucket, call on the Speech API using one of the available APIs and finally emails the result using a third party service such as SendGrid.