High-performance ML with Cloud Bigtable, TensorFlow, and Cloud TPUs!

Misha Brukman

Oct 25, 2018, 4:30:10 PM10/25/18
to google-cloud-b...@googlegroups.com

[ bcc: google-cloud-bigtable-announce ]

Dear Cloud Bigtable users,

We are excited to announce that TensorFlow 1.10 shipped with support for Cloud Bigtable as a data source and sink! Customers can now access data in Cloud Bigtable directly from open-source TensorFlow using the new Cloud Bigtable C++ client. As of TensorFlow 1.11, this integration is compatible with Cloud TPUs in addition to CPUs and GPUs. We are excited about new workloads this integration unlocks, such as reinforcement learning and more flexible data pipelines.

Potential application domains for this integration include:

  • fraud analytics in finance

  • personalization/recommendations in retail, media, adtech/martech, etc.

  • time series prediction and anomaly detection in monitoring, IoT, etc.

  • reinforcement learning applications such as:

    • robotics

    • industrial control systems

    • game playing

  • and more!

To get started, take a look at the code samples on GitHub, follow our tutorial for how to train ResNet-50 on Cloud TPU with data streamed from Cloud Bigtable, and let your friends and colleagues know to try this out!

If you are building interesting applications with Cloud Bigtable, TensorFlow, and GPUs or Cloud TPUs, please let us know — we would love to learn more about your use cases!

We will be developing more sample code and demos in the near future and we look forward to what you will build with this integration!

Best,

Misha

on behalf of the Cloud Bigtable, TensorFlow, and Cloud TPU teams

Pierre Oberholzer

Oct 20, 2021, 6:44:54 PM10/20/21
to Google Cloud Bigtable Discuss
Hi Misha, Community,

Is there any roadmap to add support for BigTable in TensorFlow 2.x, too ?

Thanks !

Pierre Oberholzer

Dec 23, 2021, 9:28:31 AM12/23/21
to Google Cloud Bigtable Discuss
Hi Everyone,

Is there any update on this ?

Meanwhile I have been asked on which features of TensorFlow 2.x we're expecting to use:
- Dataset concept of TensorFlow/Vertex AI currently missing in BigTable [1]
- Use functional Keras API,  in particular for deep and wide models [2]
Generally, we wish to use Python (within Beam/Dataflow) as much as possible on the entire ML workflow in place of the existing C++ client [3]

Thanks for your update !

Best regards, Pierre