Rust client library for BigTable

Ivan Georgiev

Mar 11, 2019, 11:28:28 AM3/11/19
to Google Cloud Bigtable Discuss
Do you guys have any plans supporting a Rust client library for BigTable any time soon?

Sandy Ghai

Mar 11, 2019, 12:02:10 PM3/11/19
to Ivan Georgiev, Google Cloud Bigtable Discuss
Hi Ivan,

Unfortunately, we do not have a Rust client library on our roadmap.
How critical is this for you?

Thanks,
Sandy

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 11:28 AM Ivan Georgiev <vanko.g...@gmail.com> wrote:
Do you guys have any plans supporting a Rust client library for BigTable any time soon?

Sandy Ghai

sbg...@google.com

Product Manager, Cloud Bigtable

Ivan Georgiev

Mar 11, 2019, 3:01:44 PM3/11/19
to Google Cloud Bigtable Discuss
Hi Sandy,
I don't see how I'm going to integrate with GCP. All your unque GCP services don't have Rust drivers. There is an Rust client library for DynamoDB and a Rust runtime for AWS Lambda. You guys must invest more into things like that so that you can reach more developers and businesses. I know it's yet another thing to support but that's the way you get more people onboard. I'm pretty sure that your C++ guys would love to play around with Rust and create a library. Rust has a really good story, easy to pick and it's really trendy amonth all C/C++ developers.

On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 6:02:10 PM UTC+2, Sandy Ghai wrote:
Hi Ivan,

Unfortunately, we do not have a Rust client library on our roadmap.
How critical is this for you?

Thanks,
Sandy

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 11:28 AM Ivan Georgiev <vanko.g...@gmail.com> wrote:
Do you guys have any plans supporting a Rust client library for BigTable any time soon?

Ramesh Dharan

Mar 11, 2019, 3:08:40 PM3/11/19
to Google Cloud Bigtable Discuss
The major blocker here is that there's currently no good story for gRPC in Rust. See https://github.com/grpc/grpc/issues/9316. Please feel free to provide your feedback on that open issue.

Cloud Bigtable's Data API is heavily reliant on gRPC streaming over HTTP/2.

There's an unofficial Rust library for Bigtable here, although it doesn't actually use gRPC (because of the aforementioned issues and as noted by the author) so it's likely very limited in terms of production readiness: https://github.com/durch/rust-bigtable

Ivan Georgiev

Mar 12, 2019, 9:35:53 AM3/12/19
to Google Cloud Bigtable Discuss
Hi Ramesh,
I hope that the gRPC team will support that at some point. I see a few people in that github issue thread that are willing to contribute. Maybe if that gets more attention by the gRPC team the issue will be resolved and you guys can go crazy and build a Rust library for BigTable. Is there any way you and Sandy can notify the gRPC team that this is actually a blocker for using Rust and BigTable?

Sandy Ghai

Fuyang Liu

Feb 25, 2020, 1:41:21 PM2/25/20
to Google Cloud Bigtable Discuss