Upcoming change related to office roles for the representative info method

Keshia-Lee

Jun 24, 2021, 12:00:18 PM6/24/21
to Google Civic Information API

Hi all,

We wanted to make you aware of an upcoming, minor change related to office roles for the representative info methods (representativeInfoByAddress, representativeInfoByDivision). We are targeting to release this change on Tuesday, June 29th.

What are office roles?
Office role is an array property of the Office element, representing the responsibility that the office fulfills. For offices that fulfill multiple functions, more than one role for a single office is allowed.

Note that roles are not meant to be exhaustive, nor is it necessary that they capture the entire set of responsibilities of a given office. Rather, the role field is intended to provide an approximate categorization for the office.

What is the change?

To accommodate better support for office roles, from June 29th you will notice the following changes:

  1. 100% of offices will have at least one valid role
    This will enable office roles to be reliably used as a request parameter to filter API results, as well as for categorizing offices from API responses.

  2. We will be adding a new value to the office role enumeration
    To provide greater flexibility and ensure at least one role is provided for each office, we are adding a value “otherRole” to the office role enumeration. This value will be used if the role is either not known or if the office’s responsibility is not analogous to any of the defined roles.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.