IDs Not Found in PollingLocation Data

Ryan Flamion

Oct 6, 2020, 8:53:12 PM10/6/20
to Google Civic Information API
Hello,

The docs for voterInfoQuery say that pollingLocations will have a "id" of type "string" (see here: https://developers.google.com/civic-information/docs/v2/elections/voterInfoQuery).  I was planning on using this foreign-key to update any changes or insert new locations to my database.  I just noticed that the VA election data was launched today, but noticed there is no "id" for the pollingLocations.  Please see json response below.

Has anyone noticed this issue?  Do I need to plan on not having any pollingLocations civic-data-id's available for me? .... hopefully not, that would make it much tougher to maintain over multiple requests.

{
    "election": {
        "id": "7000",
        "name": "US 2020 General Election",
        "electionDay": "2020-11-03",
        "ocdDivisionId": "ocd-division/country:us"
    },
    "normalizedInput": {
        "line1": "1407 Sherwood Avenue",
        "city": "Richmond",
        "state": "VA",
        "zip": "23220"
    },
    "pollingLocations": [
        {
            "address": {
                "locationName": "HERMITAGE METHODIST HOME",
                "line1": "1601 Palmyra Avenue",
                "city": "Richmond",
                "state": "VA",
                "zip": "23227"
            },
            "pollingHours": "Tue, Nov 3: 6 am - 7 pm",
            "latitude": 37.5796757,
            "longitude": -77.4591882,
            "startDate": "2020-11-03",
            "endDate": "2020-11-03",
            "sources": [
                {
                    "name": "Voting Information Project",
                    "official": true
                }
            ]
        }
    ],
}

Trevor Allred

Oct 7, 2020, 12:49:11 PM10/7/20
to google-civ...@googlegroups.com
I've worried about the same issue with ids in contest data. The API says the id will be there, but test data doesn't have it.

For contests, I'm using a combination of fields to hopefully identify duplicates. Not very good.

So far, I'm extremely disappointed with the Civic API. It's nearly useless for my purposes.

Arjun Talwar

Oct 14, 2020, 11:10:03 AM10/14/20
to Google Civic Information API
Hi Ryan

Please refer to a recent announcement on the forum. Tl;DR: the IDs will not be returned in the API response. Hope this resolves your query.

Thanks

Arjun Talwar

Oct 14, 2020, 11:11:55 AM10/14/20
to Google Civic Information API
Hi Trevor

The same announcement applies to this use case as well. Tl;DR: the IDs will not be returned in the API response. Hope this resolves your query.

Thanks
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-civicinfo-api+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Ryan Flamion

Oct 14, 2020, 11:20:34 AM10/14/20