Vote API Broken: Voting Locations but no Contests or Candidates or Ballots?

Nicholas Roberts

Mar 2, 2024, 10:26:19 PMMar 2
to Google Civic Information API
The API is not returning data on Contests, Candidates or Ballots but only Voting information

does this mean voters do not have to choose Contests, Candidates or Ballots and only Vote?

how does the Contest result in a Winning Candidate if voters don't have the information?

does the Candidate, Contest, and Ballot not matter?

Screenshot from 2024-03-02 19-21-04.png
Screenshot from 2024-03-02 19-21-04.png

Nicholas Roberts

Mar 2, 2024, 10:39:46 PMMar 2
to Google Civic Information API
the api docs show we are missing key resources i.e contests, candidates.
Kind of basic information assuming voting is more than submitting a ballot

{
"kind": "civicinfo#voterInfoResponse",
"election": elections Resource
<https://developers.google.com/civic-information/docs/v2/elections#resource>
,
"otherElections": [
elections Resource
<https://developers.google.com/civic-information/docs/v2/elections#resource>
],
"normalizedInput": {
},
"pollingLocations": [
{
]
}
],
"earlyVoteSites": [
{
]
}
],
"dropOffLocations": [
{
}
],
"contests": [
{
"type": string,
"primaryParty": string,
"electorateSpecifications": string,
"special": string,
"ballotTitle": string,
"office": string,
"level": [
string
],
"roles": [
string
],
"district": {
"name": string,
"scope": string,
"id": string
},
"numberElected": long,
"numberVotingFor": long,
"ballotPlacement": long,
"candidates": [
{
"name": string,
"party": string,
"candidateUrl": string,
"phone": string,
"photoUrl": string,
"email": string,
"orderOnBallot": long,
"channels": [
{
"type": string,
"id": string
}
]
}
],
"referendumTitle": string,
"referendumSubtitle": string,
"referendumUrl": string,
"referendumBrief": string,
"referendumText": string,
"referendumProStatement": string,
"referendumConStatement": string,
"referendumPassageThreshold": string,
"referendumEffectOfAbstain": string,
"referendumBallotResponses": [
string
],
"sources": [
{
"name": string,
"official": boolean
}
]
}
],
"state": [

]
},
"local_jurisdiction": (AdministrationRegion),
"sources": [
{
"name": string,
"official": boolean
}
]
}
],
"mailOnly": boolean
}

Google Civic Information API

Mar 4, 2024, 5:25:27 PMMar 4
to Google Civic Information API
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. This is a known issue and the state of California is unable to provide this data for the counties at this time. We are working with them to correct the issues but it will not be available in time for the California primary elections.

Thank you,
Carolyn on behalf of the Google Civic Info API team

Nicholas Roberts

Mar 5, 2024, 1:03:25 AMMar 5
to Google Civic Information API
hi Caroline

I checked voter info for all current elections and I see zero contest/ballot/candidate information

is Contests a supported feature?

Chintan Chawla

Mar 5, 2024, 1:52:08 AMMar 5
to Google Civic Information API
same issue is for Texas also....

how will be know which state provides ballot data or not?
Message has been deleted