Storage of retrieved data

Jason

Jan 13, 2024, 9:00:32 PMJan 13
to Google Civic Information API
Hi,

Me and a small bootstrapped team are developing a commercial app to get young people better informed. We were wondering if you had any restrictions on storing parts of API responses in our own database for ease of use. Just want to make sure we're following your terms!

Jason

Google Civic Information API

Jan 17, 2024, 1:10:38 PMJan 17
to Google Civic Information API
Hi Jason, thanks for checking with us.
Please follow the general Google API development terms of service here. In your case regarding storage of API responses, please follow this specific section on not building databases/keeping cached copies of the content longer than permitted by the cached header.

Thank you,
Carolyn on behalf of the Google Civic Info API team

Jason Starkman

Jan 17, 2024, 5:30:09 PMJan 17
to google-civ...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the response! Understood. I saw this, however, in my google civic calls, I did not notice a header with a cache timeline being returned. Am I looking in the wrong place? If not, what is this time limit for civic? Finally, am I allowed to store any data if I transform it or just use pieces of it? I would not be storing full replicas of your database.

Jason

Jason Starkman
Ithaca College - Class of 2022
Finance & Computer Science Major

Google Civic Information API

Jan 17, 2024, 7:21:36 PMJan 17
to Google Civic Information API
Hi Jason, you're right, we haven't been currently populating the cache-control headers in the Civic Info API. However, our guideline is that developers must agree to not cache results for more than 24 hours for voting locations and contest information and no more than 30 days for office holders and districts. This is valid whether or not you transform or only use parts of the data.

Thanks for raising this! We'll update our website to reflect this as well.