Inconsistent results for state-level congressional representatives.

Quinn Emmett

Nov 13, 2023, 12:50:05 PM11/13/23
to Google Civic Information API
Hi all!

When using the "representativeInfoByAddress" Civic Information API endpoint, we're seeing inconsistent results for state-level congressional representatives.

When using a California address, for example, we're given results for CA state senators, but when we use a Virginia address, we aren't given VA state senators.

We know this information exists within the API because if we use the "representativeInfoByDivision" endpoint with a specific ocdId for a Virginia address, we will get that VA state senator information.

However, our tool does not have the ability to lookup the user's ocdId so we can't rely on this endpoint to find that information.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Google Civic Information API

Nov 22, 2023, 4:28:04 PM11/22/23
to Google Civic Information API
Hi, Thanks for raising this to us! Can you please provide which address in Virginia you are using, so we can try to reproduce this issue?

Thank you,
Carolyn on behalf of the Google Civic Info API team

Quinn Emmett

Nov 22, 2023, 5:18:52 PM11/22/23
to Google Civic Information API
Hi! Yes -- we are using the 23185 zip code.

Google Civic Information API

Nov 29, 2023, 8:35:42 PM11/29/23
to Google Civic Information API
Hi Quinn! Thanks for following up. We still need some more information.
When trying to reproduce with a 23185 address and a california 94105 address and virginia and california ocdids, I'm not seeing the discrepancy you're describing.
Would you be able to provide a specific address in the 23185 zip code, the ocdid you're using, as well as the CA address?