YouTube and other sites are slow and unresponsive with DevTools open.

Guy S

Oct 21, 2020, 10:51:58 AM10/21/20
to Chrome DevTools
Hey guys,
Can you please confirm that when browsing www.youtube.com  (or https://app.clickup.com) With Devtools open - the website renders slowly and is quite unresponsive vs with devtools closed?

Was able to reproduce on osx and windows with version Version 86.0.4240.80 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Cheers,
Guy.

PhistucK

Oct 21, 2020, 10:55:32 AM10/21/20
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
If you go to chrome://accessibility/, is any check box ticked?

Note - it makes sense that things slow down a bit when the Developer Tools feature is open. Depending on the complexity and functionality of the page, things can slow down somewhat more than a bit.
However, with accessibility somehow enabled, GMail is responding quite slowly, which is why I am asking.

PhistucK

Guy S

Oct 22, 2020, 3:20:12 AM10/22/20
to Chrome DevTools
Hi,
No, Nothing is ticked - I was able to reproduce it on all my colleagues computers (both OSX and windows).

I'm talking about super-slow animations and unresponsive UI with devtools open, which make it unusable.

I found out about this issue while I was debugging a chrome extension that we are developing and was thinking that we were the reason, but we were able to reproduce without the extension installed on different computers.

Yang Guo

Oct 22, 2020, 3:28:11 AM10/22/20
to Google Chrome Developer Tools, Simon Zünd
+Simon Zünd could this be another case of stack traces slowing down performance?

Yang

Yang Guo

Oct 22, 2020, 3:44:33 AM10/22/20
to Simon Zünd, Google Chrome Developer Tools
Indeed it would! I guess the workflow is to enable tracing while using DevTools, to see whether trace events for stack trace symbolization would show up a lot?

Yang

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 9:38 AM Simon Zünd <szu...@google.com> wrote:
I'd have to investigate this particular issue, but guesstimating I'd say chances are good its slow stack trace symbolization again.

Would it make sense to permanently add trace events to the v8 inspector for stack trace collection/symbolization? That would make confirmation of these cases easier in the future.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 9:35 AM Simon Zünd <szu...@chromium.org> wrote:
I'd have to investigate this particular issue, but guesstimating I'd say chances are good its slow stack trace symbolization again.

Would it make sense to permanently add trace events to the v8 inspector for stack trace collection/symbolization? That would make confirmation of these cases easier in the future.

Yang Guo

Oct 22, 2020, 4:16:47 AM10/22/20
to Simon Zünd, Google Chrome Developer Tools
Cool, I appreciate it!

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 10:01 AM Simon Zünd <szu...@chromium.org> wrote:
Indeed, one can also compare traces of loading the page with, and without DevTools open to confirm.

I'll send a CL.

Simon Zünd

Oct 22, 2020, 4:23:50 AM10/22/20
to Yang Guo, Google Chrome Developer Tools