Feature request: Highlight atomics.wait worker state in devtools

Sam Denty

Aug 10, 2023, 2:46:05 PM8/10/23
to Chrome DevTools
Context: I'm a developer at StackBlitz, we make an in-browser Node.JS runtime that heavily uses atomics for synchronisation.

It would be super handy if devtools displayed next to each worker a label indicating whether it's currently doing an atomic wait operation. This would bring much more visibility into deadlocking issues, and make debugging them much more simpler - since the only way currently to see if there's a deadlock, involves pausing every worker and checking whether it's stuck on an atomics.wait

CleanShot 2023-08-07 at 16.43.46@2x.png

Yang Guo

Aug 10, 2023, 3:16:23 PM8/10/23
to Chrome DevTools
Hi Sam,

That feature idea seems reasonable. Could you file an issue for this so that we can track this? Thanks!

Cheers,

Yang

Benedikt Meurer

Aug 11, 2023, 3:17:25 AM8/11/23
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, Meysam Sarabadani
https://crbug.com/1470751 was already discussed. @Meysam Sarabadani will take care of putting it on the backlog and see when we have capacity to work on it.

Benedikt Meurer

Chrome DevTools Lead

bme...@google.com

Google Germany GmbH

Erika-Mann-Straße 33

80636 München

Geschäftsführer: Paul Manicle, Liana Sebastian

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg

Diese E-Mail ist vertraulich. Falls Sie diese fälschlicherweise erhalten haben sollten, leiten Sie diese bitte nicht an jemand anderes weiter, löschen Sie alle Kopien und Anhänge davon und lassen Sie mich bitte wissen, dass die E-Mail an die falsche Person gesendet wurde.

This e-mail is confidential. If you received this communication by mistake, please don't forward it to anyone else, please erase all copies and attachments, and please let me know that it has gone to the wrong person.