License Question

Ashkar Dev

Mar 21, 2020, 5:44:50 PM3/21/20
to Chrome DevTools
Hi,

I use google chrome developer version which includes inspect element(devtools) which makes some works easier for my development of a web application for example when I click a CSS attribute it shows its related values,
my question is (is it legal to use this for developing a web application and selling the web application while the codes contain a value means content that the devtool provides and gives(maybe the idea while using or testing) then I used in the codes, means is there any copyright for that contents that devtool provides or is there any license to prevent using it for commercial purposes? for example selling the web application with the content that devtool provides?).

PhistucK

Mar 21, 2020, 5:50:07 PM3/21/20
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
First, I am not a lawyer.
Second, I never thought about it this way, but I am pretty sure no license is needed.
If you are talking about automatic completion provided by the Developer Tools when you enter a CSS property or value, or if you are talking about the computed styles of your own website, then there is no reason there would be a license associated with it.
If you are talking about computed styles of a website that you do not own, then here you might have a problem - you are basically copying work of others, in which case, I would guess you need a permission to copy their implementation.

PhistucK

Ashkar Dev

Mar 21, 2020, 6:02:45 PM3/21/20
to Chrome DevTools
Thanks for Answer,
yes I mean autocomplete and other contents that it provide, like your codes with additional codes that is showing while the web page loads, is it OK to use for example the given auto-completed code at the project it self, is it legal to use chrome DevTools for commercial purpose(means using it at the process of developing your web app)?
which license talks about this tool?

Thanks.

Ashkar Dev

Mar 21, 2020, 6:14:54 PM3/21/20
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
is it API that this terms apply on it or not, if DevTool is API so
is this say you dont have ownership of the content API provides?
is this denies the selling of the content it gives?

PhistucK

Mar 21, 2020, 6:14:58 PM3/21/20
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
I am 99.9% sure that every professional developer (of a commercial product) that uses Chrome as their primary browser and touches CSS uses this automatic completion feature on occasion and copies the resulting CSS into the product.
Most/every browser that offers a Developer Tools feature has this feature, there is no reason (assuming they are not pure evil/jerks) to offer it to developers if they cannot make use of it without any implication.

To summarize, I (and everyone else, I reckon) assume no license is association with it, but I have no legal clue whatsoever. Maybe others will chime in.

PhistucK

Ashkar Dev

Mar 22, 2020, 3:37:20 PM3/22/20
to Chrome DevTools
Thanks for your another answer, its not about fearing google to sue, but I don't want to break the rule of the product(Chrome), because its not permitted in my religion(Islam) to break contract while the contract here is the terms.