Chrome on window maximise reports incorrect window width size

Stuart Buck

Mar 7, 2019, 7:41:53 AM3/7/19
to Chrome DevTools
I have a very simple jQuery script in page to actively scale/resize images.

$(window).resize(function () {
        console
.log("resize " + $(window).width());

if ($(window).width() < 1921) {
            console
.log("event called size = " + $(window).width());

//...

}
});

Basically if the screen size is greater than 1920 I don't want to resize images as they would scale outside of their containers.

This all works fine for other modern (<5yr old) browsers but in Chrome when I maximise the window it reports an incorrect screen size (2379 when it should be 1920) Oddly enough with dev tools open it works fine.

I do have a dual monitor set up but surely if this could be/ was the issue it would not affect just Chrome. When I maximise the window chrome does maximise to a single screen exactly and I don't have any zoom set either.

(I'm on Version 72.0.3626.119 (Official Build) (64-bit))

After a few days looking at this I still can't see why it would do this.

Any advise or anyone else experienced this.

Many tia

Stu.

PhistucK

Mar 7, 2019, 7:44:39 AM3/7/19
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
This should probably be reported via crbug.com, but the fact that the Developer Tools being open fixes/changes that, is interesting.

PhistucK

Stuart Buck

PhistucK

Mar 9, 2019, 4:17:19 PM3/9/19
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
I am sorry for your awful experience. It rarely happens and yes, every software has bugs, even software that tracks bugs. :(
There are infrastructure issues lately in the project, so I assume this has something to do with it.
:(

If you are willing to try again soon, I recommend that you keep a copy of your report in order to prevent further data loss, in case the problem has not been resolved yet.
Note that without a report (unless one exists already by someone), chances are it will not get resolved, so while the issue tracker disappointed you, it is the right place for reporting it and for it to be fixed sooner (but no guarantees either way, to be clear)... So, please, do try again.

Thank you for your patience!

PhistucK

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 2:41 PM 'Stuart Buck' via Chrome DevTools <google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
[...]

Stuart Buck

Mar 9, 2019, 4:20:28 PM3/9/19
to Chrome DevTools
Thanks PhistucK

I'll try again in a few days.

On Sat, Mar 9, 2019 at 11:12 PM 'Stuart Buck' via Chrome DevTools <google-chrome-developer-to...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
[...]

Larry LACa

Mar 11, 2019, 2:11:21 AM3/11/19
to Chrome DevTools
Stuart: I'm curious about this too.

In 2017, I was working with a user (Alex), with a dual monitor setup, and after (as I recall),
  dragging a minimized tab from one window to another,
  then the maximized size was off by a few px (14?), enough to leave a small stripe at the top of screen.

See CR's 730163, 733849.  There are other related CRs in the descriptions, but that's pretty ancient history.

I think I was able to recreate the problem, with the right combo of laptop and TV, to a bad reported
  window.OuterHeight, OuterWidth, InnerHeight, innerWidth.
The discrepancy was only a few pixels, but meant you needed to allow for the error with some fuzzy logic.

Let us know your CR...