Request: display the '¦' character (U+00A6 ¦ BROKEN BAR (HTML ¦ · ¦) correctly

Julian Ladbury

May 4, 2020, 10:28:15 AM5/4/20
to Chrome DevTools
The ¦ character currently displays as a red diamond with a ? in the middle:

In Watch:

Screenshot - 2020-05-04_11_57_44.png

and in Console:

Screenshot - 2020-05-04_12_00_40.png

Yang Guo

May 4, 2020, 10:44:33 AM5/4/20
to Google Chrome Developer Tools, Mathias Bynens

Julian Ladbury

Jul 9, 2020, 9:31:25 AM7/9/20
to Chrome DevTools
Please close this or mark it as answered. It is NOT a DevTools problem.

In case it helps anyone stumbling across this, after much investigation, I found that what I was experiencing resulted from data corruption when writing some JSON in Word VBA. The ¦ was being wrongly output by the VBA Print command. The solution was to use VBA File System Object for the Write, which ensured the output file was in UTF-8 rather than Windows 1252. My odyssey in finding this started at https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2524703/save-text-file-utf-8-encoded-with-vba.

Yang Guo

Jul 9, 2020, 9:33:01 AM7/9/20
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Thanks for the update, Julian!