patri...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2013, 2:33:36 PM2/22/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
I have accidentally hidden the icons (Elements, Resources, network, etc) in the toolbar. is there a way to show them again?

Tim Statler

Feb 22, 2013, 2:44:31 PM2/22/13
to patri...@gmail.com, google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
They are hidden by default in Chrome 25, which was pushed out yesterday. You can re-enable them checking the 'Show Toolbar Icons' in option in DevTools settings > General.

Tim

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 11:33 AM, <patri...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have accidentally hidden the icons (Elements, Resources, network, etc) in the toolbar. is there a way to show them again?

Tim Statler | Technical Writer - Chrome Developer Relations | timst...@google.com |

bigt...@gmail.com

Feb 26, 2013, 6:50:39 PM2/26/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, patri...@gmail.com
Is there a way to make this the default?

The icons have been disappearing after I enabled them in a way that I haven't noticed a pattern yet.

Thanks!

On Friday, February 22, 2013 11:44:31 AM UTC-8, Tim Statler wrote:
They are hidden by default in Chrome 25, which was pushed out yesterday. You can re-enable them checking the 'Show Toolbar Icons' in option in DevTools settings > General.

Tim

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 11:33 AM, <patri...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have accidentally hidden the icons (Elements, Resources, network, etc) in the toolbar. is there a way to show them again?

PhistucK

Feb 27, 2013, 1:29:42 AM2/27/13
to bigt...@gmail.com, google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, patri...@gmail.com
Just a thought - perhaps they disappear when opening the Developer Tools for an incognito tab?

PhistucK

citize...@gmail.com

Mar 11, 2013, 5:40:41 PM3/11/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, patri...@gmail.com, bigt...@gmail.com

Same question, there doesn't seem to be a way to make this the default? Without the icons, it's harder to tab back and forth through them, and it's useful to keep that preference every time you spawn a new dev-tools instance.

John J Barton

Mar 11, 2013, 5:50:04 PM3/11/13
to citize...@gmail.com, Google Chrome Developer Tools, patri...@gmail.com, bigt...@gmail.com
Just open the Devtools settings and click the box Show toolbar icons,

Appearance

Like all settings these are saved.

jjb

Milton Lawson

Mar 11, 2013, 5:53:58 PM3/11/13
to John J Barton, Google Chrome Developer Tools
That preference isn't saving for me in Chrome Version 25.0.1364.152 m

Once I close dev tools, or open a new tab, and spawn a new instance of dev tools, it reverts back to a default of not having icons.

John J Barton

Mar 11, 2013, 6:43:12 PM3/11/13
to Milton Lawson, Google Chrome Developer Tools

Milton Lawson

Mar 12, 2013, 3:49:35 PM3/12/13
to John J Barton, Google Chrome Developer Tools
No, I'm not using incognito mode.

I just updated to Version 25.0.1364.172 m

Problem still persists. I go into developer tools, no icons. Click settings, click "show toolbar icons" and then the icons appear for that one instance of Developer tools. Close the tools, spawn a new instance, no icons.

John J Barton

Mar 12, 2013, 5:29:54 PM3/12/13
to Milton Lawson, Google Chrome Developer Tools
Do other settings also fail in this same way?

jjb

Milton Lawson

Mar 12, 2013, 5:34:30 PM3/12/13
to John J Barton, Google Chrome Developer Tools

Yes, actually. Didn't realize that. I just changed sources "show folders" setting and then spawned a new instance, and that preference was lost as well.

John J Barton

Mar 12, 2013, 5:51:16 PM3/12/13
to Milton Lawson, Google Chrome Developer Tools
Open devtools on a page, then open devtools on devtools ((cntrl+shift+I or cmd+shift+I). In the second devtools search globally (cntl+shift+F) for
   window.localStorage
Be patient the devtools front end is a large concatentated file.  You are looking for a line:
if (window.localStorage != null) {
in a method 'set' of 'Setting'

Set a breakpoint then go back to the first devtools, open Settings and set the show icons setting. See if the set() function seems to succeed.

Or/And: run your chrome browser from the command line with a new profile:

My guess is that your profile is somehow not writable.

jjb

www.mam...@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2013, 12:13:07 PM7/11/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
SHOW ICONS

sunnyd...@gmail.com

Aug 5, 2013, 12:49:32 AM8/5/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, February 22, 2013 8:33:36 PM UTC+1, Patrick Stinson wrote:
I have accidentally hidden the toolbar menu in chrome .i am not sure what i did the last as it happened

sunnyd...@gmail.com

Aug 5, 2013, 12:51:27 AM8/5/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
where I will find dev tool bar option to re enable my tool bar  in chromes

sunnyd...@gmail.com

Aug 5, 2013, 12:55:17 AM8/5/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com

PhistucK

Aug 5, 2013, 4:18:36 AM8/5/13
to sunnyd...@gmail.com, Google Chrome Developer Tools
1. Go to chrome://extensions (copy and paste in the location bar).
2. Search for the relevant extension.
3. Click on "Show button".

PhistucK

rhig...@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2013, 9:02:59 PM8/29/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
I would like to see the icons too, but I don't see the DevTools setting icon.

PhistucK

Aug 30, 2013, 4:23:19 AM8/30/13
to rhig...@gmail.com, Google Chrome Developer Tools
When the focus is on the Developer Tools window (but not on its console!), press ?.

PhistucK

--
Message has been deleted

John J Barton

Oct 10, 2013, 12:32:21 PM10/10/13
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
My post that you quote is out-of-date. At this time, no such setting exists.
jjb

unter...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2013, 2:02:20 AM10/15/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, i agree.

The setting was removed during the last Chrome Update (30 i think).

I opened an issue, please comment ;-)

John J Barton

Oct 15, 2013, 12:39:50 PM10/15/13
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
My comment is: try devtools without icons for a bit. The old icons were a mess. Icons really help when you have many items in arbitrary order, we have few items in fixed order. Requiring icons for panels puts an unnecessary burden on extensions.

jjb

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-chrome-developer-tools/f8a60374-182f-4e3d-9f40-6d09af226d4d%40googlegroups.com.

sa...@playgroundinc.com

Oct 17, 2013, 2:18:11 PM10/17/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
Whether they were a mess or not is completely irrelevant.

Icons are good UX. They are functional. You memorize things based not only on order, but on things like color, texture, shape, value, volume. This is how humans work at the fundamental level.

Removing them is a shockingly naive UI 'improvement'.
Message has been deleted

jme...@linkedsc.com.ar

Oct 19, 2013, 3:49:02 PM10/19/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, sa...@playgroundinc.com
I totally agree! I've been using dev tools from years now and I've noticed instantly the missing icons, because of the time wasted to read which tabs I'm looking for. Icons are always functional, even with a few elements, beside that they look a lot better from a design point of view.

I can understand adding an option to hide them, I can understand icons hidden to be the default, but with all that already done, simply remove them now and remove the option of bring them back... It's at least a regression (to not say stupid).

Why wasting developers time to removing features that are working ok?, I mean, not fixing it, not improving it, simply removing it...

Sorry for my english.
Message has been deleted

PhistucK

Aug 2, 2014, 4:03:58 AM8/2/14
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Note - Patrick was referring to the toolbar of the Developer Tools feature and not to the toolbar of the browser, so this is unrelated to extensions.

PhistucK

On Sat, Aug 2, 2014 at 2:48 AM, ziakliamse <esmai...@gmail.com> wrote:
Using Google Chrome version 36.0.1985.125 m
1. Go to chrome://extensions
2. Under the information of the extension you want to add the button for, click "Show Button." If this does not appear, you may have an extension that does not have a button, or you do not have enough space on your toolbar and the extension-button section needs to be extended (put your cursor between the left-most extension button. and the search box. It should turn into a 2-way arrow. Pull towards the left).

On Friday, February 22, 2013 11:33:36 AM UTC-8, Patrick Stinson wrote:
I have accidentally hidden the icons (Elements, Resources, network, etc) in the toolbar. is there a way to show them again?

dai...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2015, 11:33:54 PM2/6/15
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
Where's DevTools settings > General. in 40.0.2214.111? There's no option labelled DevTools.

PhistucK

Feb 7, 2015, 12:34:27 PM2/7/15
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
In the Developer Tools feature, there is a button with a cog wheel icon. Click on it and the settings screen will appear.

PhistucK

dai...@gmail.com

onepu...@gmail.com

Sep 21, 2015, 11:55:32 AM9/21/15
to Google Chrome Developer Tools

You know it's really stupid to get a so-called "upgrade" only to lose icons.  Why in the world would someone devise an upgrade that makes things more confusing.  Just like these cockeyed geeks.