Can I use files on chrome-devtools-frontend.appspot.com in my own project?

Simon Chan

Apr 20, 2023, 1:13:11 PM4/20/23
to Chrome DevTools
Previously I made an ADB client in TypeScript using WebUSB API, and recently I re-created the chrome://inspect feature on top of it.

In my re-creation, I used Chrome DevTools Frontend files hosted at https://chrome-devtools-frontend.appspot.com, not only for Chrome for Android, but also other browsers (Microsoft Edge, Opera, Vivaldi) since they don't host their own DevTools.

My question is, is it OK to do that? Or do I need to build and host my own DevTools frontend files? It is an open-sourced hobby project, not commercial.

Yang Guo

Apr 20, 2023, 1:46:07 PM4/20/23
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Hi Simon,

We don't have any issues with you using these hosted files, with the following caveats:
- The usage is not commercial (you already mentioned that your use case is not commercial).
- This permission can be revoked on Google's part.
- There are not guarantees which files and how long they are hosted there.

On a sidenote: I'd be curious to learn more about your hobby project!

Cheers,

Yang

Simon Chan

Apr 21, 2023, 1:05:24 AM4/21/23
to Chrome DevTools
Hi Yang,

Thanks for your response! I'm happy to get the permission using those files!

For details on my project, the source code is at https://github.com/yume-chan/ya-webadb, and the relevant part is at `apps/demo/src/pages/chrome-devtools.tsx` and `chrome-devtools-frame.tsx`. I bundled Node.js's undici package to send HTTP and WebSocket requests, through my ADB client, to browsers' remote debugging Unix sockets on Android devices. Then I hooked `window.WebSocket` before importing `front_end/entrypoints/inspector/inspector.js` from https://chrome-devtools-frontend.appspot.com, so I don't need to modify and build Chrome DevTools frontend by my own.

Best Regards,
Simon Chan