Incomplete ranges in bar chart

Miguel Corazao

May 29, 2020, 7:34:43 AM5/29/20
to Google Chart API
I want to do something a little odd in my bar charts. I'm wondering if there is a way.

I am creating a stacked bar chart where the magnitudes for different bar stacks can be quite different. In other words, one stacked bar can add up to a value of a few hundred whereas others can be more like a dozen. I thought about trying to do a logarithmic scale but that really does not work with stacked charts. The reality with charts I am creating is that there is typically one of the bars that has a much larger magnitude than the others. If I were simply drawing this chart, what I would do is delete part of the range. In other words I would have part of the axis, as well as the long bar, where I put squiggly lines to represent a part of the range I am simply not showing on the chart. In this way I can expand the smaller bars while still showing the longer bar.

Is there some magic way to do something like this in Google Charts? I know it is a weird thing to do but I'm not sure how else to make the data stand out in a good way. Mind you, I know that if there is a way to do this in my script I would have to add some smarts to figure out where to put the skipped range, but that's not rocket science.

Thanks.