Important: Google Image Charts will be turned off soon

Jon Orwant

Feb 9, 2019, 5:44:58 PM2/9/19
to Google Chart API
Google Image Charts -- not to be confused with Google Charts -- is the free service at chart.googleapis.com that creates static charts.

Its deprecation was announced back in 2012, so in theory nobody should be using it now that it's 2019.

Several technical dependencies have made maintaining Google Image Charts unsustainable going forward, so it will be turned off on March 14, 2019.

There is no effective way to identify or contact users of the service other than this group, so to alert them we will be creating outages: first a short one, and then a longer one.

The short outage will be for an hour on Wednesday, February 13, at approximately 1pm Eastern Standard Time.
The long outage will be for several hours on Tuesday, March 5, at approximately 10am Eastern Standard Time.

If you are still using Google Image Charts, we recommend:

  • Switching to Google Charts, an actively developed JavaScript library for interactive charts and can render many common chart types as static PNGs. However, Google Image Charts provides some "charts" that Google Charts does not, such as QR codes, LaTeX equations, and road signs. For those we have no suggested replacement.

  • Using another charting library such as D3 or Dygraphs (both JavaScript).

  • Generating all the charts you'll ever need before March 14 and storing them yourself. (Many users of Google Image Charts create the same exact chart over and over, which is slower and more wasteful than generating the chart once and storing it locally.)

On a personal note, I've enjoyed maintaining the service over the years, and I'm happy to have watched the much more powerful Google Charts leapfrog it in capability.

Jon

rs64....@gmail.com

Feb 18, 2019, 10:58:11 PM2/18/19
to Google Chart API
Thanks for the update Jon.

Question : would you know of any other similar alternative ?

I need to display bar / pie / line charts on emails.

Email clients provide minimalistic JavaScript capability and so using any JS-based solution like Google Charts or D3 won't cut it.

Sach.

Jon Orwant

Feb 24, 2019, 12:49:42 PM2/24/19
to Google Chart API
On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 10:58:11 PM UTC-5, rs64....@gmail.com wrote:
Thanks for the update Jon.

Question : would you know of any other similar alternative ?

Hi Sach,

I'm not endorsing these solutions and have no experience with any of them, but perhaps they'll help you:
 Jon

Sachin Khambadkone

Feb 25, 2019, 8:06:11 AM2/25/19
to google-c...@googlegroups.com
Awesome thanks !

lped...@google.com

Feb 28, 2019, 5:56:27 PM2/28/19
to Google Chart API
HI Sach,

Did you find a suitable solution? We also use Google Image Charts for emails and need to find a suitable replacement. Thanks!

Cheers,
Luis

Sachin Khambadkone

Feb 28, 2019, 8:24:27 PM2/28/19
to google-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Yes - we've been using image-charts.com and so far so good !

Sach.

Luis Pedroza

Mar 1, 2019, 12:39:05 AM3/1/19
to google-c...@googlegroups.com
Awesome. Thanks so much!

Jay Ashe

Mar 5, 2019, 11:52:28 AM3/5/19
to Google Chart API
How long will the long outage be for?

Jon Orwant

Mar 5, 2019, 11:54:11 AM3/5/19
to Google Chart API
Google Image Charts will be turned back on between 2pm and 3pm today. It will stay up until March 14 at which point it will be shut off forever.

Jon

Brandon Byers

Mar 5, 2019, 12:07:21 PM3/5/19
to Google Chart API
Howdy!

I would like to say thank you for providing this service ... and then, for keeping it available 7 years past the deprecation date. My business has found it immensely useful for our internal site, email, PDFs etc.

Vaya con Dios! We wish you all the best.

gga...@fgribreau.com

Mar 5, 2019, 12:07:41 PM3/5/19
to Google Chart API
We've made Image-charts.com years ago as a drop-in replacement for Google Image Charts and we support animated charts (gifs) as well!

Try us, it's free (with a small watermark) and we've got paying subscriptions to remove the watermark :)

Nicholas Sadowy

Mar 5, 2019, 12:47:10 PM3/5/19
to Google Chart API
Is there an "easy" alternative dynamic push pin generator to replace what was available via http://chart.apis.google.com/chart?chst=d_map+pin_letter&chld=1|00FF00|FFFFFF?

david.mend...@gmail.com

Mar 5, 2019, 12:59:51 PM3/5/19
to Google Chart API

Tom Baverstock

Mar 5, 2019, 1:39:44 PM3/5/19
to Google Chart API
does anyone know an alternative for QR code generation? The Gooogle replacement doesn't have this

Stuart Kiely

Mar 5, 2019, 1:57:11 PM3/5/19
to Google Chart API
I just tried porting over to http://goqr.me/api/

looks like a viable alternative.

Tom Baverstock

Mar 5, 2019, 2:14:32 PM3/5/19
to Google Chart API
thanks, looks good, I'll pass that over to my dev

Andre Madarang

Mar 5, 2019, 2:44:12 PM3/5/19
to Google Chart API
I am also looking for an alternative for this. One of my apps makes heavy use of this and I have yet to find an alternative. If has anyone suggestions, let us know! Example URL: https://chart.apis.google.com/chart?chst=d_map_spin&chld=0.90|0|9999FF|12|_|A2

Mike Karikas

Mar 5, 2019, 8:29:03 PM3/5/19
to Google Chart API
One alternative we're looking at is Eastwood Charts, which says it uses the same parameters as Google Image Charts, though we haven't been successful in getting it running yet.  Has anybody tried this?

A couple links:
https://github.com/geosolutions-it/eastwood-charts - project files on github that appear to be incomplete

Ian Webster

Mar 6, 2019, 2:47:26 AM3/6/19
to Google Chart API
Hi all,

With Google Image Charts shutting down, I created https://quickchart.io/ to provide image charts for free and without a watermark.  You can use the quickchart.io service or run your own server as the project is open source.

Wind Power Surf Shop

Mar 6, 2019, 10:07:11 AM3/6/19
to Google Chart API
Good day google image charters,

Thanks to google for providing this service for years.  It really produces some nice graphs and worked well for plotting weather data in our applications.  http://www.windpowerweather.com

I would hope google could leave the documentation for Google Image charts up past Mar 14.  It is a good reference while implementing new charting system.

We use a lot of dynamic icons and map_spin for wind direction for example: http://chart.apis.google.com/chart?chst=d_map_spin&chld=0.8|14|67C8FF|10|_|NNW

Image-charts.com returns an error on 'chem' parameter, does not support dual axis and is not a 'drop-in' replacement in our case.  D3 looks good, but probably a fair amount of work to implement.

Has anyone find dynamic icon / marker support?
If you change the debug param to true, you can see the chart parameters at bottom of page.

Any help would be appreciated.

Wind Power Surf Shop
Lake Winnebago, Fond du Lac, WI

Sachin Khambadkone

Mar 8, 2019, 4:06:25 AM3/8/19
to google-c...@googlegroups.com

Sarbjeet Singh

Mar 8, 2019, 1:08:15 PM3/8/19
to Google Chart API
There does not seem to be any easy replacement for dynamic icons.
Anyone found anything for this.

here at the below link it does not say that it is shutting off on 14th March.

Could you please confirm if it is also going down?

Regards,
Sarbjeet Singh

Jon Orwant

Mar 8, 2019, 1:12:52 PM3/8/19
to Google Chart API
Yes, the infographics are going down too. Basically, any use of chart.googleapis.com will stop working.

I'll add a more explicit warning to that portion of the web site; thanks for pointing out the ambiguity.

Jon

Aron Kansal

Mar 8, 2019, 1:35:38 PM3/8/19
to Google Chart API
We plan to switch to:
http://goqr.me/api/
Just not sure what the terms are.
I don't see a pricing page and also it does not confirm that it's free.
I'd prefer to know what the usage limits are in case I run into future issues.

Aron Kansal

Mar 8, 2019, 1:35:38 PM3/8/19
to Google Chart API
Stuart - are you nervous that the price and usage is not listed?

Sarbjeet Singh

Mar 8, 2019, 1:54:16 PM3/8/19
to Google Chart API
Thanks for the confirmation.

Ryan Chadwick

Mar 8, 2019, 4:10:51 PM3/8/19
to Google Chart API
They do mention on their site (http://goqr.me/)  that it is free. "QR codes created on goQR.me are completely free of charge (commercial and print usage allowed, including advertising)." I think if you want a colored QR code, they do charge a fee for that.

Ryan Chadwick

Mar 8, 2019, 4:11:12 PM3/8/19
to Google Chart API
Is anyone for sure that the QR code API will be shut off, or is it only the Dynamic Icons? https://developers.google.com/chart/infographics/docs/dynamic_icons is the only page that explicitly says it will be shut off on March 14, 2019. The other pages, just mention that the API is deprecated.

Jon Orwant

Mar 8, 2019, 4:14:36 PM3/8/19
to google-c...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I can confirm that the QR codes will no longer be available. Anything involving a chart.googleapis.com URL will stop working.

Jon

gga...@fgribreau.com

Mar 9, 2019, 4:11:37 AM3/9/19
to Google Chart API
We've built and released a QR Code and drop-in-replacement for Google Image Charts at Image-Charts.com:

Let us know your feedbacks so we can improve it 🏆!

Documentation and watermark for free usage are also coming !

gga...@fgribreau.com

Mar 9, 2019, 4:11:58 AM3/9/19
to Google Chart API
We've looked into this and the rendering is the same (proportions are equal):

Image-Charts rendering

vs

Google-Image Charts rendering

https://chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=p&chd=t:45,49,1587&chs=300x250&chco=FEA0A0,FFFF93,99CB99&chl=45%7C49%7C1587&chm=N,777777,0,,12,,c

 (also note the missing 1 in the 1587 label, that Image-Charts.com handles for you 👌)

Sachin Khambadkone

Mar 9, 2019, 5:11:36 AM3/9/19
to google-c...@googlegroups.com
Ah apologies - I wasn't aware image-charts.com was setup to simply mimic google as closely as possible.

Thanks for the response - guess I'll have to look elsewhere,
Sach.

Aron Kansal

Mar 9, 2019, 1:10:02 PM3/9/19
to Google Chart API
I hate to say this, but api.qrserver.com is not ready for the amount of traffic that is coming their way.
We are getting errors from them.

A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly
respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because
connected host has failed to respond 85.10.204.194:443

2nd Level Domain: titanium.net-no.de

gga...@fgribreau.com

Mar 9, 2019, 1:10:20 PM3/9/19
to Google Chart API
@Sachin it's because you Google Image Charts "t:" format, your dataset is 45,49,1597 in "t:" format, thus it means that "values above 100 are truncated to 100" (both valid in Google Image Charts and Image-Charts documentation).

However in Image-Charts.com we implemented what we call the "awesome data format" ("a:") that does not truncate values higher than 100:

Enjoy!

Sachin Khambadkone

Mar 10, 2019, 1:50:57 AM3/10/19
to google-c...@googlegroups.com
Now that's a far better response than the previous.

Thanks - still scoping out image-charts :-)

Sach.

Brandon Byers

Mar 11, 2019, 12:08:01 PM3/11/19
to google-c...@googlegroups.com
@image-charts - thank you for that distinction, regarding the "t" format and your "a" format.

Regards,

Brandon Byers
Refund Retriever, LLC
 800-441-8085
 bra...@refund-retriever.com
 www.refund-retriever.com

Stuart Kiely

Mar 12, 2019, 10:19:46 AM3/12/19
to Google Chart API
we found the same re: load issues w/ api.qrserver.com. Switched to image-charts.com and so far so good

Ian Webster

Mar 12, 2019, 12:40:10 PM3/12/19
to Google Chart API
We've also added QR code generation to https://quickchart.io/.  It is free and open source (https://github.com/typpo/quickchart).

QR codes can be generated with the /qr?text=XXX endpoint, URL encoded.  For example:  https://quickchart.io/qr?text=Hello%20World

Santiago Galindo

Mar 14, 2019, 7:01:41 PM3/14/19
to Google Chart API
Hello

someone has found a way to make use of two axis and in the same graph, almost no free library supports double axis

Ian Webster

Mar 14, 2019, 7:11:12 PM3/14/19
to Google Chart API
Hi Santiago,

Dual axes can be done pretty easily with Chart.js config using QuickChart as a renderer.  For example:

{
  "type": "bar",
  "data": {
    "labels": ["January", "February", "March", "April", "May"],
    "datasets": [{
      "label": "Dogs",
      "data": [ 50, 60, 70, 180, 190 ],
      "yAxisID": "y-axis-1",
    }, {
      "label": "Cats",
      "data": [ 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000 ],
      "yAxisID": "y-axis-2",
    }]
  },
  "options": {
    "scales": {
      "yAxes": [{
        "type": "linear",
        "display": true,
        "position": "left",
        "id": "y-axis-1"
      }, {
        "type": "linear",
        "display": true,
        "position": "right",
        "id": "y-axis-2",
        "gridLines": {
          "drawOnChartArea": false
        }
      }]
    }
  }
}

URL-encode the JSON configuration into this URL and you'll get a nice chart with dual axes:

QuickChart is open-source here: https://github.com/typpo/quickchart

Feel free to reach out directly or via Github if you have any questions.

Ian

Serhat Ugur

Mar 18, 2019, 11:54:02 AM3/18/19
to Google Chart API
Hello Jon,

I realized that Google Image Charts are still up and running, any changes in sunset date?

Jon Orwant

Mar 18, 2019, 11:55:56 AM3/18/19
to Google Chart API
I was wondering if anyone would notice!

The turndown will start around 7pm EDT tonight.

Jon

Brian Chen

Mar 19, 2019, 7:12:45 AM3/19/19
to Google Chart API
Check this https://jsfiddle.net/7rwh1Lfd/3/

On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 12:59:51 AM UTC+7, david.mend...@gmail.com wrote:
I am looking for a solution to this as well! https://chart.googleapis.com/chart?chst=d_map_spin&chld=.85|0|EA4335|10|b|10

On Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 10:47:10 AM UTC-7, Nicholas Sadowy wrote:
Is there an "easy" alternative dynamic push pin generator to replace what was available via http://chart.apis.google.com/chart?chst=d_map+pin_letter&chld=1|00FF00|FFFFFF?

Jopie Avier

Mar 19, 2019, 7:13:07 AM3/19/19
to Google Chart API
Eeehm yes, we as a small website noticed it today. Never noticed the outages and the guy that made the subgurim Api for c# stopped with it, so no chance of an upgrade....

We are using it to place markers on the map with a number in it.....

David Suchomel

Mar 19, 2019, 9:11:50 AM3/19/19
to Google Chart API
Hello,
 I have problem with SIZE. chs=150x150 but image size is 175x175 and when I set chs=170x170 I got 264x264
Thanks Dave

Santiago Galindo

Mar 19, 2019, 9:11:50 AM3/19/19
to Google Chart API
Ohh Thank you very much!

I will try it!

Brian Chen

Mar 19, 2019, 9:11:50 AM3/19/19
to Google Chart API
Well use custom icon for Marker as here https://jsfiddle.net/7rwh1Lfd/3/

Peter

Mar 19, 2019, 10:42:29 AM3/19/19
to Google Chart API
Does a replacement for the google chart-o-meter exist? Can it be emulated?

Jon Orwant

Mar 19, 2019, 10:53:35 AM3/19/19
to google-c...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I'm not aware of any replacement for the chart-o-meter.

Jon

Randall Theobald

Mar 19, 2019, 11:39:34 AM3/19/19
to Google Chart API
No chance for an open source donation so we can host our own?

Jon Orwant

Mar 19, 2019, 11:43:28 AM3/19/19
to Google Chart API
It's a good thought and I had a Google engineer look into it, but ultimately we decided that there are too many internal Google dependencies for us to be able to open source it. Sorry.

(This happens a lot. For instance, we have our own internal string and file libraries, so when we open source we have to replace those with versions available externally. It's a lot of work.)

Jon

Ian Webster

Mar 19, 2019, 12:40:41 PM3/19/19
to Google Chart API
Hi Peter,

Not an exact Google-o-Meter replacement, but QuickChart supports a radial gauge visualization type.  For example:

https://quickchart.io/chart?c={type:'radialGauge',data:{datasets:[{data:[70],backgroundColor:'green'}]}}

The QuickChart rendering service is based on Chart.js and the chartjs-chart-radial-gauge plugin, so it can be customized according to the options in the documentation.  Feel free to open an issue on the Github repo if you need help or clarification.

Stephen Cousins

Mar 19, 2019, 1:11:54 PM3/19/19
to Google Chart API
Thanks for this Ian, for low volume is it ok to use your hosted version for QR codes or do we have to install on our own servers?

Thanks

Stephen Cousins

Mar 19, 2019, 1:16:24 PM3/19/19
to Google Chart API
I changed to use this today and it seems to be performing well but I wonder with heavy usage whether it will be switched off or a monthly fee? have you been using it?

Thanks

On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 11:35:38 AM UTC-7, Aron Kansal wrote:
Stuart - are you nervous that the price and usage is not listed?

David Suchomel

Mar 19, 2019, 1:34:49 PM3/19/19
to Google Chart API
Hello,
  I'm not able to change my chart to image-charts.com. Can anyone help me?

cht=lc
&chf=bg,s,3d3d3d|c,s,282828
&chxs=0N*sz2*,ffffff|1N*sz2*,ffffff|2,ffffff
&chco=ffffff,ffcc00,43c0ff,E5690F,66CC00,CC0000,CC00FF
&chg=20,50,1,5
&chxtc=1,10|0,10
&chdl=year 2020|year 2021|year 2022
&chdlp=b|r
&chdls=ffffff
&chs=700x250
&chxr=1,44.4695,51.757025
&chd=t:45.15,45.15,45.15,49.27,58.46,50.23,48.31,43.92,43.92,43.92,62.85,62.85,75.62,85.91,95.24,95.24,95.24,85.08,76.85,75.75,77.12,73.42,73.42,73.42,80.83,58.46,65.46,56.13,47.21,47.21,47.21|15.1,15.1,15.1,15.92,17.85,12.49,9.75,7.28,7.28,7.28,23.2,23.2,38.29,48.03,56.82,56.82,56.82,48.17,40.08,38.02,41.72,37.33,37.33,37.33,43.23,23.47,30.47,20.86,11.67,11.67,11.67|11.53,11.53,11.53,13.45,15.65,10.57,7.69,7.55,7.55,7.55,22.24,22.24,34.04,42.41,49.82,49.82,49.82,45.02,37.61,33.9,37.19,30.61,30.61,30.61,34.31,16.06,24.02,14.14,4.54,4.54,4.54
&chxl=0:|16/2|19/2|22/2|25/2|28/2|3/3|6/3|9/3|12/3|15/3|18/3
&chxt=x,y

When I delete some parameters i only get:

but problem is Y axis. I'm not able to get own Y range.
X-axis problem: I have 31 values per one line and 11 values for label (chxl) I dont know why i can't see line to the end chart.

Thanks for any help.
Dave

Ian Webster

Mar 19, 2019, 2:46:36 PM3/19/19
to Google Chart API
Hi Stephen,

Feel free to use the hosted version. It has been benchmarked for 100s of concurrent requests per second and is running far below capacity.

Kris

Mar 19, 2019, 8:59:47 PM3/19/19
to Google Chart API
Oh, believe me, we noticed the sudden loss of our QR codes in my business this morning!  I knew it was coming at some point, but it's still sent me into a tailspin this morning looking for alternatives.

Why does the new Charts API not include QR codes?

Many many many thanks to Ian Webster and his quickchart.io.  I'm back in business (quite literally) wiht my QR codes!

Jlo

Mar 19, 2019, 8:59:47 PM3/19/19
to Google Chart API
Holy smokes. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Image-charts.com just saved me TONS of time.

Randall Theobald

Mar 19, 2019, 8:59:47 PM3/19/19
to Google Chart API

Greg Holmes

Mar 20, 2019, 8:07:48 AM3/20/19
to Google Chart API
Is the API back now?

I was just about to (try to) explain it to our client why their map pins disappeared (we have an old third party add on that uses it and can't be updated), and today the map pins are back?

Jon Orwant

Mar 20, 2019, 8:10:13 AM3/20/19
to Google Chart API
The API was turned back on temporarily and may be shut off again without notice.

Jopie Avier

Mar 20, 2019, 8:11:13 AM3/20/19