Code 128 barcode

ePoint System

Feb 10, 2009, 6:05:48 PM2/10/09
to Google Chart API, kha...@gmail.com
Hello,

I have a specification proposal for code128 barcodes, in case you
consider adding this type of "chart".

A little background:
For the web interface of an embedded system, I needed QR codes and
Code128 barcodes. Since I do not want to bother Google's servers (and
waste my customers' bandwidth) unnecessarily, my device generates the
requested PNGs all by itself, but since you guys designed such a nice
API(*), instead of re-inventing the wheel, we decided on a compatible
implementation as far as the query string (the part following the
question mark in the URL) is concenred.

However, since we needed Code128 and you don't have that, here is a
draft specification for those:

cht=c128
chl=<text to encode>
choe=<output encoding> (actually I did not implement this one, as all
my data are us-ascii)
chld=<orientation>|<margin>

<orientation> is either H or V (horizontal or vertical, respectively,
horizontal being the default), <margin> is the width of blank area on
both sides as measured in module (unit bar width), 10 by default.
Module width as well as bar length is determined from chs as usual.

(*) Sure, I have read section 5.6 of your Terms of Service. I hope
that you do not mind that we implement a compatible API (mostly as a
tribute to Google; compatibility has very little practical
significance in this case) and won't take any legal action against me.
Also, I do not ask you to implement Code128 charts; I use my own
implementation. Just in case you consider doing so, you may also
consider staying compatible with my implementation. I surely do not
mind if you do so and do not even ask you to credit me with its
specification.

Cheers!

Bart Van der Donck

Feb 14, 2009, 6:00:47 AM2/14/09
to Google Chart API
Yes, I think you're right that this is a bit of a 'gap' in the Charts
API.

http://groups.google.com/group/google-chart-api/msg/76fbf3b46083aa6b?hl=en

--
Bart

Michael Dräyer

Jan 25, 2017, 6:07:03 AM1/25/17
to Google Chart API, kha...@gmail.com
Anything new here? ;)

I'm in this bad situation now, where a code-128 api would be awesome!

Jon Orwant

Jan 25, 2017, 6:11:27 AM1/25/17
to google-c...@googlegroups.com, kha...@gmail.com
Sorry, we have no plans to add new chart types to Google Image Charts.

Jon