Looking for information on subscribing to NOAA NWS feed

rindress....@ping4.com

Apr 10, 2013, 12:52:04 PM4/10/13
to google-cap...@googlegroups.com
Howdy,
I've been searching around for a while now and I can't seem to find the answer, or it is right in front of me and I'm not seeing it :-)

I'm looking to integrate the current feed of weather alerts from google.org's public alert system and provide that information to smartphones based on their current geographic location.  We have a product which allows public safety agencies to send alerts to smartphones in a geo-fenced area.  We also currently supply them with weather events in their current location.  However; processing the feed from alerts.weather.gov is a challenge.  Having looked at the current information from google.org/publicalerts I'm not looking to duplicate that effort.  Instead I think our app would be a great compliment to that information.  We can alert the user and provide a URL to the hosted google.org listing for further details.

In order to get this working though I need to setup my pubsubhubbub subscription.  I'm using Ruby as my programming language and I've have the necessary api's there.  However; what I'm lacking is the information required, specifically the URL/Topic I need to subscribe to.  In the documentation there is an example but not a specific one for the alerts from google.org/publicalerts.

Thank in advance,
Rindress

James Hamilton

Apr 10, 2013, 4:19:35 PM4/10/13
to google-cap...@googlegroups.com
Rindress- In my opinion and from my perspective as an alert originator, you are looking at this problem from the wrong direction.  You should not be looking to pull info FROM Google Public Alerts but rather push information TO it. Warnings, to include weather warnings, through Google's public alert architecture are already being pushed natively to mobile devices as a LBS in Android under the Google Now implementation and this is also likely headed to the notification flag in Chrome.

If you are looking to implement a solution to pull down the weather information their are two methods that I would find acceptable in a public safety application, the first would be directly from the National Weather Service through direct access to the Weather Wire service http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwws/ and the second would be through an appropriate subscription to the FEMA IPAWS Server.

With that being said and again from the viewpoint of an emergency management practitioner and public warning consultant, I would highly encourage you to explore integrating your distribution feed from your clients in CAP format to both Google Public Alerts as well as FEMA IPAWS.

James Hamilton, AEM

adt

May 15, 2013, 12:21:11 AM5/15/13
to google-cap...@googlegroups.com
I believe your looking for http://alert-hub.appspot.com/

rindress....@ping4.com

May 23, 2013, 4:11:01 PM5/23/13
to google-cap...@googlegroups.com
James,

Thanks for responding.... I don't know how I didn't see this email until now.....

Anyway, I am looking to do exactly what you are suggesting.  I currently process the NWS Atom feed directly and I'm looking to now switch to the Google alert-hub.  I've begun to look at using this and I assume my 'TOPIC" is going to be http://alerts.weather.gov/cap/us.atom correct?

You mention integration to IPAWS as well.  Is that documented somewhere?

Thanks again for your suggestions.

-Rindress
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-cap-community+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

James Hamilton

May 23, 2013, 4:20:26 PM5/23/13
to google-cap...@googlegroups.com
I can't help you a whole lot with alerthub but the CAP feed direct from NWS is where most tools directly poll. As for IPAWS, documentation is somewhat broken up but the best place to start your research is here: http://www.fema.gov/integrated-public-alert-warning-system-private-sector

Rindress MacDonald

May 23, 2013, 4:22:59 PM5/23/13
to google-cap...@googlegroups.com
Great thanks for the link!.

-Rindress

Don McGarry

May 23, 2013, 5:08:39 PM5/23/13
to google-cap...@googlegroups.com

If you are interested in an open source library to connect to ipaws check out edxlsharp.codeplex.com