Need help getting started with Calendar API

Mark Foley

Dec 4, 2020, 11:44:10 PM12/4/20
to Google Calendar API
I'm trying to use the Google API. On Linux, I followed the step in https://developers.google.com/calendar/quickstart/java. I believe I successfully did: 1) Turn on Google Calendar API. 2) Prepare the Project. 3) Set up the sample. On step #4 I ran the sample (gradle run), which gave me a URL. I opened that URL on a different computer and got "Choose an Account" (I did); "This app isn't verified" (I clicked Advanced > Go to Quickstart (unsafe); "Grant Quickstart permission / View your calendars" (I clicked Allow); "Conform you choices" (allow); then got "Unable to Connect".

Sorry for this newbie post, I'm sure this is dealt with somewhere in great detail. If someone could either tell me what I'm doing wrong, or point me in the right direction, I'd be most grateful.

Mark Foley

Dec 5, 2020, 1:35:26 PM12/5/20
to Google Calendar API
After opening the desktop GUI (KDE), I then ran 'gradle run' from a terminal window command line. It launched a browser which let me confirm my credentials. Then, back at the terminal windows, it listed my upcoming google calendar events! Yay! That worked. My problem above was that I tried opening the URL from a different computer. I was subsequently able to run 'gradle run' at the command line without launching any browser, or even having X windows running.

My ultimate objective: This server had Apache and Tomcat running a webserver. I would like to be able to have a .jsp program use the API to add events to this calendar. Can someone point me to a how-to on doing that?