Status of other sources of SES?

Mike Stay

Jan 8, 2019, 3:49:23 PM1/8/19
to Google Caja Discuss
It looks as though nothing has happened on drses/ses since 2013, and
very little has happened on google/caja since 2014. Is SES only being
developed under https://github.com/Agoric/SES now?

It also looks as though the API for running SES has changed over the
last year or so. It used to be that I would build initSES.js, include
it (or the minified version) in a page, then invoke
cajaVM.compileExpr(untrustedSource)(virtualGlobal)
when I wanted the result of running an untrusted expression.

I don't see initSES in the output of
npm run build

Is it still generated? If not, what's the new incantation to evaluate
an expression in an SES environment?
--
Mike Stay - meta...@gmail.com
http://math.ucr.edu/~mike

Mark Miller

Jan 8, 2019, 9:52:05 PM1/8/19
to Google Caja Discuss
Hi Mike I repeated your question and answered at https://ocapjs.org/t/which-ses-how-to-use-ses/41/3

Can we discuss there? Thanks.

--

---

  Cheers,
  --MarkM

Mike Stay

Jan 9, 2019, 10:37:46 AM1/9/19
to Google Caja Discuss
OK. What topics, if any, would you like to remain on this list?

Mark Miller

Jan 9, 2019, 1:36:49 PM1/9/19
to Google Caja Discuss
Anything specific to Google-Caja or to the original-SES within Google-Caja.

But if there are contrary preferences, please speak up. Thanks.

Mike Stay

Jan 9, 2019, 2:13:06 PM1/9/19
to Google Caja Discuss
Should anyone using original-SES switch to SES, or will security
patches be backported?

Mark Miller

Jan 9, 2019, 3:35:10 PM1/9/19
to Google Caja Discuss
Neither Agoric nor Salesforce are likely to invest effort backporting fixes into original-SES.

I would anyone using original-SES should switch to SES, including Google. However, as mentioned, there are porting costs. That's the right place to put engineering effort, rather than backporting fixes to original-SES.

If anyone (including Google) would like help migrating from original-SES to SES, please let us know. Thanks.