Why no FILE and LINE records in symbol file

eva DING

Jan 15, 2024, 4:16:09 AMJan 15
to Google Breakpad Discuss

Hi,

The symbol files I generated by dump_syms includes below records:

FUNC

INFO

MODULE

PUBLIC

STACK

But there are no LINE and FILE records. I'd like to know what are the possible reasons and side effect of no LINE and FILE records? And if the symbol files like that is valid to do stackwalk?

Thanks a lot

Eva

Mike Frysinger

Jan 23, 2024, 10:53:39 AMJan 23
to google-brea...@googlegroups.com
dump_syms dumps debug info.  make sure the files you compiled had debugging enabled.
-mike

eva DING

Jan 31, 2024, 9:06:43 PMJan 31
to Google Breakpad Discuss
More info is that the breakpad I am using is pulled from the latest code of master branch of https://github.com/google/breakpad instead of main branch, which seems newer. Doesn't breakpad on master support LINE/FILE recored dump functionality?

eva DING

Feb 1, 2024, 12:47:43 AMFeb 1
to Google Breakpad Discuss
Thanks Mike.
Yes, I am sure the files dumped has debugging enabled and compiled with -g option.
I tried to dump the file after stripped, the output is different: after stripped debug info, the dump output has no any FUNC and STACK record.
So, is there other additional requirement to dump FILE/LINE record?

BR
Eva

在2024年1月23日星期二 UTC+8 23:53:39<Mike Frysinger> 写道:

Marc Gonzalez

Feb 7, 2024, 6:15:59 AMFeb 7
to eva DING, google-brea...@googlegroups.com
On 01/02/2024 03:06, eva DING wrote:

> More info is that the breakpad I am using is pulled from the latest
> code of *master* branch of https://github.com/google/breakpad instead
> of *main* branch, which seems newer. Doesn't breakpad on master
> support LINE/FILE recored dump functionality?

Hello Eva,

Many projects have moved away from the term "master"
and adopted the term "main" instead.

[ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master%E2%80%93slave_(technology) ]

The result is that the old "master branch" is obsolete
(last updated Nov 2020). You should definitely build
from the "main branch" (updated a few days ago).

Regards