The future of breakpad and its relation with crashpad.

Shady Atef

Sep 30, 2021, 4:37:33 PM9/30/21
to google-breakpad-discuss
Hello all,
I've been investigating about the crash reporting systems from Google, specifically crashpad and breakpad.

To my understanding crashpad was created out of the need that Mac OS 10.10 broke how breakpad works.

The fuss is because on multiple online forums, people claim crashpad is the successor of breakpad and breakpad is to be deprecated.

I can't find any official statement about the future of breakpad ? what are the plans for it ? Can it be used reliably in a new project or not ? or it's advised to use crashpad instead.

Thanks.

Iman Ahmadvand

Oct 2, 2021, 11:37:57 AM10/2/21
to google-breakpad-discuss
In my opinion, considering the strong development background of Google Breakpad and it's use cases in projects like Mozilla Firefox, Telegram, etc., we're good to go for using it.

Mike Frysinger

Oct 29, 2021, 5:14:37 PM10/29/21
to google-brea...@googlegroups.com
feel free to use whichever you like.  it's not like breakpad is going to be deleted.

for Chromium projects, we're slowly looking at moving from breakpad to crashpad for some parts (like out-of-process tracking), but i think some of the tools that breakpad provides don't have equivalents in crashpad.

Mark: should we add some clarity to crashpad's project status page, and perhaps a similar doc in breakpad ?
-mike