minidump_stackwalk symbol uuid is all zeros.

Acid Tonic

May 27, 2022, 11:27:40 AM5/27/22
to Google Breakpad Discuss

I am integrating crashpad into our cross platform application and my first test was on a Gentoo Linux machine. I was able to get a dump from crashpad but when I used breakpads minidump stalkwalk it seems to be always trying to lookup the symbols with a uuid in the symbols path with all zeros.

When I run the commands to generate the symbols from the debug binary it is coming up with a non-zero unique looking uuid so the symbols are not found when using minidump stackwalk unless I manually go rename the folder to have all zeros.

Is this normal or a sign something went wrong?

My crash is b4ae52c1-1e66-4e96-ac2a-57b0e3b653f8.dmp
But minidump stackwalk is looking for symbols using the id: 000000000000000000000000000000000

I get errors about it searching inside symbols/MyApp/000000000000000000000000000000000/MyApp.sym
but the database was created at -> 3F0BEB03D6F2521BD19B266E4B1A71960

I move the files and it works but is this really necessary? Won't that break when I get true crashes with different ID's?

Would love any help here, moving to windows next after linux tests work.

Mike Frysinger

May 28, 2022, 6:30:09 AM5/28/22
to google-brea...@googlegroups.com
minidump stackwalk is taking info from the minidump, so you should start with the minidump.  further, the ids iirc come from .build-id, so if you aren't using those when linking, you'll need to start.  a while back, i defaulted those to on in Gentoo, but bad packages caused it to be reverted, so you need to opt-in yourself.
-mike