FYI: published my Rust minidump crate(s)

Ted Mielczarek

Dec 21, 2017, 2:18:26 PM12/21/17
to google-br...@googlegroups.com
Hey there,

I believe I mentioned this a while back, but with some renewed interest in writing debugger tooling in Rust I spent some time polishing up and releasing my Rust crate(s) for dealing with minidumps:
https://crates.io/crates/minidump
https://crates.io/crates/breakpad-symbols
https://crates.io/crates/minidump-processor

A lot of the bits in there are effectively a Rust port of the Breakpad processor code, since that's how I learned to write Rust. The `minidump-processor` crate contains a `minidump_stackwalk` binary which is not 100% feature-complete vs. Breakpad but can do an awful lot, so if you have Rust installed you can `cargo install minidump-processor` and get a `minidump_stackwalk` binary that mostly works (even on Windows).

My long-term plan is to replace Mozilla's use of the Breakpad processor components with this, but I don't have an immediate time frame on that. I'm also interested in using this to build other tooling. Some colleagues and I are making headway on implementing the GDB remote protocol in Rust ( https://github.com/luser/rust-gdb-remote-protocol ), with which I'd like to write a tool to debug minidumps directly in gdb/lldb.

-Ted