For migrating breakpad to use GN in Chrome OS

Keigo Oka

Apr 25, 2019, 11:42:24 PM4/25/19
to google-br...@googlegroups.com, chromeos-velocity
Hello breakpad developers.

I work on Chrome OS GYP to GN migration.
The goal is to remove GYP in Chrome OS.

I found in Chrome OS breakpad is compiled with GYP, though Chrome's fork has BUILD.gn and compiled with GN.

So my naive idea for migration is to copy & paste Chrome's BUILD.gn and manually fix the parts which did not work.
But before doing so, as I am not an expert about breakpad things, I would like to hear what you would say.

Thanks!

Keigo Oka

May 9, 2019, 2:42:24 AM5/9/19
to Jeffrey Kardatzke, Satoru Takabayashi, google-br...@googlegroups.com, chromeos-velocity
Hi. Inside Chrome OS, is gyp used to build breakpad?

For google-breakpad-9999.ebuild, it seems it uses make, but not gyp.
I confirmed removing all *.gyp files, presubmit still passes, and the said ebuild still compiles the package. See https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/chromiumos/platform/google-breakpad/+/1600949 .

Is there anything I'm missing? Or the CL can be submitted?

Thanks.

From: Jeffrey Kardatzke <jkard...@google.com>
Date: Sat, Apr 27, 2019 at 2:50 AM
To: Satoru Takabayashi
Cc: Keigo Oka, <google-br...@googlegroups.com>, chromeos-velocity

On Chrome OS, I'm fairly we're only using Breakpad for core->minidump conversion and then also for generating the symbol files we upload to the crash server (and maybe some other spot in the build/dev process that I can't recall).

As long as all of the targets we used before get built still...I don't see a problem with that. I'm not sure Chrome's build files would cover all of our targets thought since we also use some command line utilities.

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 10:17 PM Satoru Takabayashi <sat...@google.com> wrote:
+ jkardatzke@ who would be familiar with the crash reporting stuff.

Jeffrey Kardatzke
Google, Inc.

Keigo Oka

May 12, 2019, 10:54:44 PM5/12/19
to Jeffrey Kardatzke, Satoru Takabayashi, google-br...@googlegroups.com, chromeos-velocity
If no one knows about GYP usage, I am going to submit the CL tomorrow to see if anything breaks, as I could not find the usage.

Thanks!

Keigo Oka

May 13, 2019, 8:16:28 PM5/13/19
to Jeffrey Kardatzke, Satoru Takabayashi, google-br...@googlegroups.com, chromeos-velocity