changing master->main development branch in git

Mike Frysinger

Dec 1, 2020, 4:39:10 PM12/1/20
to google-br...@googlegroups.com, Mark Mentovai, Joshua Peraza, Sterling Augustine
anyone aware of any external blockers that would prevent us from migrating the breakpad repo from master to main ?  Chromium & CrOS all pin to specific commits, not branch name, so they shouldn't be impacted.

i'm not planning on deleting the master branch, so nothing should break right away :).  we'll let main move ahead of master and see if anyone notices.  if something comes up, we can easily fast-forward master to main again while that thing gets addressed.

thoughts ?  people will have to tweak their local checkouts (.git/config) and how they push/upload CLs, but it's otherwise pretty painless.
-mike

Mark Mentovai

Dec 2, 2020, 9:20:21 PM12/2/20
to Mike Frysinger, google-br...@googlegroups.com, Joshua Peraza, Sterling Augustine
A month or two ago, I thought about doing this for Crashpad, but balked because I assumed the buildbots would very possibly be looking for “master” by name, and rather than figuring that out, I thought it would be a more valuable use of my time to let someone else do it as part of a larger mass migration.

That’s the only concern I had. Breakpad has no buildbots, and I can’t think of anything else that might hard-code “master”. I endorse your plan to freeze “master” and pull “main” off as a new default branch. In doing so, can we forbid pushes to “master” to ensure that old checkouts and codereview issues don’t succeed in putting things into a dead-end?

Mike Frysinger

Dec 2, 2020, 9:47:54 PM12/2/20
to Mark Mentovai, google-br...@googlegroups.com, Joshua Peraza, Sterling Augustine
yep, i can easily add a rule so any pushes to master will be rejected, both uploading to Gerrit & pushing directly in git

i'll do the migration tomorrow morning
-mike

Mike Frysinger

Dec 4, 2020, 5:51:44 PM12/4/20
to Mark Mentovai, google-br...@googlegroups.com, Joshua Peraza, Sterling Augustine
migration is complete: CLs have been automigrated to main, and master locked down.  please let me know if people see any breakage.
-mike

Mark Mentovai

Dec 4, 2020, 5:53:36 PM12/4/20
to Mike Frysinger, google-br...@googlegroups.com, Joshua Peraza, Sterling Augustine