core2md question

julien...@chromium.org

Mar 5, 2019, 3:03:48 PM3/5/19
to google-breakpad-dev
Hi,
I have a coredump and I would like to convert to a minidump with core2md. Problem is that the tool is asking for /proc/$PID and the process is not running once I get the coredump.
So I am having trouble to understand how this is supposed to work.
Any example how to use core2md ?
Thx
Julien

Mike Frysinger

Mar 5, 2019, 3:25:11 PM3/5/19
to google-br...@googlegroups.com
the core2md step is expected to run while the coredump is being gathered (e.g. a callback from /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern).  there you'd have access to the frozen/crashed process.  core2md uses extended process details to fill out the dump (maps/modules/etc...).

we could extend the interface to skip all of this if the process is gone.  feel free to send a patch :).

in the meantime, you can probably cheat and use /proc/self, and then be aware that you need to ignore all the process-specific details in the minidump because they'll be for a different process.
-mike