Can My App Use GSuite APIs?

Davis Jones

Dec 12, 2019, 1:52:33 PM12/12/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Hi GAS friends,

I've been working on a web-based React App that I plan to deploy to Firebase. I'm also planning to use a Google Cloud Firestore as the App's database. I'm wondering if it's possible for my app to use GSuite APIs (e.g. Google Docs, Drive, GMail) as backend services with my users. For example, I'd like to enable users to create documents based on chat-derived inputs, which I'll store in their Firestore document. Ideally, I'd like to be able to use the GSuite APIs to take those inputs and use them to do things like create Google Docs, store them in my App's Drive account etc.

Is this possible?

Thanks for your help!

Davis

Cesar Anton

Dec 12, 2019, 2:05:44 PM12/12/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Hi David!

G Suite APIs works great with Firebase Cloud Functions. You can add them to your project with  const google = require('googleapis');

Here's a sample that uses Google Spreadsheets:  https://github.com/firebase/functions-samples/tree/master/google-sheet-sync
Here's the article for that example:  https://medium.com/@elon.danziger/fast-flexible-and-free-visualizing-newborn-health-data-with-firebase-nodejs-and-google-sheets-1f73465a18bc

Just in case, here's one that shows how to run isomorphic React apps with Cloud Functions:
https://github.com/firebase/functions-samples/tree/master/isomorphic-react-app

You can use the Firestore events to wire up everything. Hopefully this will get you covered.

Happy coding!

César Antón Dorantes
Senior Software Engineer @ EPAM Systems
Google Developer Expert

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 1:52 PM Davis Jones <da...@eazl.co> wrote:
Hi GAS friends,

I've bee working on a web-based React App that I plan to deploy to Firebase. I'm also planning to use a Google Cloud Firestore as the App's database. I'm wondering if it's possible for my app to use GSuite APIs (e.g. Google Docs, Drive, GMail) as backend services with my users. For example, I'd like to enable users to create documents based on chat-derived inputs, which I'll store in their Firestore document. Ideally, I'd like to be able to use the GSuite APIs to take those inputs and use them to do things like create Google Docs, store them in my App's Drive account etc.

Is this possible?

Thanks for your help!

Davis

Davis Jones

Dec 12, 2019, 2:39:48 PM12/12/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Awesome--thanks, César!

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Google Apps Script Community" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-apps-script-community/CAL1p6wATvq-vseTmpO-xB_3nzktQPOQsHpV2-uTTTxnXy3PKsg%40mail.gmail.com.