How to model per user API limit using Google Sheets API?

Harit Himanshu

Oct 6, 2020, 2:52:22 PM10/6/20
to Google Apps Script Community

As per the documentation of Sheets API v4

This version of the Google Sheets API has a limit of 500 requests per 100 seconds per project, and 100 requests per 100 seconds per user.

Reference: https://developers.google.com/sheets/api/limits

I am planning to work on a web application (externally hosted, not Apps Script) that uses Google Sheets API v4 as a place to store user data. The reason is that the user is 100% owner of the data instead of me/application.

Think of something similar to https://www.glideapps.com/ in terms of how it works (not the same idea)

I want the user to Sign In with Google button on the application page, and give the application access to use Sheets on their (user's) behalf.

I want to be in a situation, where API usage falls under 100 requests per 100 seconds per user.

What do I need to do to make sure that my application uses usage quota per user and not by the application?

Please help me provide some official references and readings that I can use for my understanding.

Thank you