Can we do something about the issue #69270374 - "Authorization is required to perform that action" ?

Faustino Rodriguez

Mar 15, 2019, 8:59:15 AM3/15/19
to Google Apps Script Community
It's my first post, so I wanted to touch an important pain point on my side (literally)

We spent a few hours a week supporting users that are struggling with this issue

Can somebody around here gets Google's attention on this issue?

The issue started on Nov.13, 2017 and it is potentially affecting every add-on out there
It is still with status New and Unassigned

Sorry for ruining the forum inauguration party ;)

Romain Vialard

Mar 15, 2019, 10:21:26 AM3/15/19
to Google Apps Script Community
I agree with you, surprising that it still isn't fixed.

The workaround I implemented in YAMM and described in the following blog post does work well and avoid spending "a few hours a week supporting users that are struggling with this issue" so I would recommend implementing that rather than waiting for an official fix.

Faustino Rodriguez

Mar 15, 2019, 11:38:57 AM3/15/19
to Google Apps Script Community
I did something like that long ago (thanks again for your support), but still it's not 100% effective
- sometimes, the user just log-out from the default account without removing it from the browser, and the issue persists
- in other cases, they have no idea what I am talking about, and just give up on using the add-on

Alan Wells

Mar 15, 2019, 11:54:57 AM3/15/19
to Google Apps Script Community
I display an error message with red background, and put my email at the very top.  Even if they don't read the error message, they can see that something is very wrong, and see my email.  In some situations there are space constraints, so a full explanation of what the problem is, and what to do about it may get truncated.  Do you collect the users email when the add-on is installed?  And do you send them error messages?

Darren D'Mello

Mar 15, 2019, 11:55:46 AM3/15/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Yes still the issue persists inspite of workaround. Thanks to Romain Vialard for this hack.

Faustino Rodriguez

Mar 15, 2019, 12:02:25 PM3/15/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Yes, we send the users follow up emails for some errors, including this one, with some details and suggestions on how to avoid them

This particular error is the top-most-frequent error we get in the Log

Eric Koleda

Mar 18, 2019, 10:34:15 AM3/18/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
I've posted an update on the issue tracker and I'll put it back on the engineering team's radar. No promises it will result in a fix anytime soon though.

- Eric

Faustino Rodriguez

Darren D'Mello

Mar 28, 2019, 11:43:41 PM3/28/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Eric please, any update on this. This error is really frustrating.

The workarounds don't work most if the time.

Eric Koleda

Mar 29, 2019, 9:34:32 AM3/29/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Darren,

Unfortunately there aren't any updates. I'm continuing to stress the importance of this to the engineering team, but I don't know if or when they will take action.

- Eric

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 11:43 PM Darren D'Mello <miscellan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Eric please, any update on this. This error is really frustrating.

The workarounds don't work most if the time.

Steve Webster

Mar 29, 2019, 9:54:47 AM3/29/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for mentioning this. I wonder how much money has been lost by developers or companies due to this issue.

Kind Regards,

Steve Webster
SW gApps, President
Google Product Expert in: Google Apps Script, Drive, and Docs
Google Vendor (2012-2013) || Google Apps Developer Blog Guest Blogger
Add-ons: Text gBlaster and Remove Blank Rows

Darren D'Mello

Mar 29, 2019, 10:00:35 AM3/29/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
Perfect Steve, I am too frustrated. A Search Giant couldn't overcome such a bug...

Thanks to Fausto, for posting this to be the first post. Its a pain.

Alan Wells

Mar 29, 2019, 2:30:35 PM3/29/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Do you know the specific details of when the "work around" doesn't work?  According to the post by Romain Vialard, the issue is only affecting multiple accounts in the same domain.  Do you know what account logged in first?  Do you know if the multiple accounts are in the same domain?  Do you know whether the default account is the same as the account that authorized the add-on?

Darren D'Mello

Mar 29, 2019, 8:39:44 PM3/29/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
This bug is weird. I have seen this happens when 2 accounts (same or different domain sometimes) are signed in.

The exact behavior is unpredictable and difficult to mimic for debugging.

Faustino Rodriguez

Oct 18, 2019, 11:26:53 AM10/18/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Any hope on fixing this issue before its 2nd anniversary on this Nov.13

@Eric and any @Googlers around: any updates?

...thanks