How to get rid of the "Install" in Form addon menu?

Hoang Trinh

Jun 25, 2019, 6:05:47 AM6/25/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago when I first started with Google Apps Script, I'm sure that "Install" button is not appeared when I tested a new addon (there are only 3 items: Configure notifications, About and Help)

Screenshot 2019-06-25 16:59:36.png

But now whenever I code a new addon and try to test it, the "Install" button appears, and when I click it, nothing happens. It's not a good UX for users and I want to remove it.

Thank you very much.

Alan Wells

Jun 25, 2019, 8:44:52 AM6/25/19
to Google Apps Script Community
I've got the same issue.  I know that I don't have an "Install" menu item in my settings, so it's not my mistake.  It's got to be something that Apps Script has done.  Are you in a GSuite account, or free/consumer account.  I'm seeing this in a script bound to a Google Form, in my GSuite account.

Alan Wells

Jun 26, 2019, 9:36:56 AM6/26/19
to Google Apps Script Community
If this issue affects you, there is an an existing issue reported at:

Eric Koleda

Jul 19, 2019, 1:44:03 PM7/19/19
to Google Apps Script Community
I've reached out to the engineering team to get this on their radar. I expect it's related to the migration from CWS to GSM. In the end the impact seems low, since it only shows up for container-bound scripts creating add-on menus.

- Eric

Alan Wells

Jul 19, 2019, 2:04:28 PM7/19/19
to Google Apps Script Community
I'm not sure about this, but once the add-on is authorized or published publicly, that "Install" menu item might go away.  It might actually be a good thing if the add-on isn't authorized, because it would tell the user that they need to do something.  I hope I'm not spreading misinformation.  If I am, then let me know.  I just kinda accepted it as something that was there and ignored it, so I wasn't really paying much attention, but it seems like it goes away sometimes.