Cloud Print shuts down on Jan 1, 2021

Alan Wells

Nov 22, 2019, 6:53:46 AM11/22/19
to Google Apps Script Community
Cloud Print is still in beta, and will not be moving out of beta, but will be shutting down.

By default, Cloud Print is set to ON in G Suite.
To open your G Suite admin console go to:

G Suite Apps.JPGClick Additional apps and services

add services.JPGFind Cloud Print

print OFF.JPG

Turn Off Cloud Prn.JPG

Carl Dewever

Nov 24, 2019, 9:08:07 AM11/24/19
to Google Apps Script Community
What are my options?
- I am using google apps script in google sheets.
This involves printing sheets from google apps scripts. I do this using the Google Print API.
However, I guess that one is gone by end 2020.
- Also, I use GAS to print labels on my label printer
What are my remaining options from printing from Google Apps Script after Google Cloud Print is gone?

Carl
ps : I run google chrome on a mac

Alan Wells

Nov 24, 2019, 10:52:09 AM11/24/19
to Google Apps Script Community
I don't know anything about what you can do for printing options to Google Cloud Print.
Maybe someone else has some information.

Carl Dewever wrote:
What are my options?
- I am using google apps script in google sheets.
This involves printing sheets from google apps scripts. I do this using the Google Print API.
However, I guess that one is gone by end 2020.
- Also, I use GAS to print labels on my label printer
What are my remaining options from printing from Google Apps Script after Google Cloud Print is gone?

Carl
ps : I run google chrome on a mac

Riël Notermans

Nov 24, 2019, 10:53:55 AM11/24/19
to Google Apps Script Community
"The following print management features are being developed for Chrome OS and will be available prior to Cloud Print deprecation.
  • Support for external CUPS print servers, including authentication
  • Policy to configure connections to external CUPS print servers
  • APIs for third-parties to access print job metadata, submit print jobs and printer management capabilities"

Carl Dewever

Nov 26, 2019, 6:22:56 AM11/26/19
to google-apps-sc...@googlegroups.com
ok that is for chrome OS
but will that be available to GAS running in chrome?

Riël Notermans

Nov 26, 2019, 3:37:34 PM11/26/19
to Google Apps Script Community
If there is an API you'd be able to use GAS I guess.

silverelf

Jun 9, 2020, 2:32:08 AM6/9/20
to Google Apps Script Community
Hi Guys!

Found out about Google Cloud Print's shut down around a week ago.
Wish that Google would capitalize GCP instead of shutting it down entirely given that GCP is already integrated with most major printing brands.
Without GCP, it seems inevitable that a separate printing adaptor/server is required.

I face the same issue as AJ as I print doc/pdf from app script.
Wondering if anyone already discovered a solution to this?
I am looking for an ideal solution that allows direct pushing of print jobs from app script to printers, without having to have a computer on 24/7.