Apps.Editors, for GDrive | Chromebooks

Thomas P.

May 5, 2020, 2:58:04 AM5/5/20
to Google Apps Script Community
Having a good Editor when coding, or merely banging plain text files - is kind of pivotal, for being productive.
Or perhaps more appropriately expressed:
// Having a good Editor when coding, or merely banging plain text files - is kind of pivotal, for being productive. ;-)

Well, Platform matters in terms of available options.
- Working on Windows, and you're not having too few options.
- Working on a Chromebook, and you're less overwhelmed w. options. (the Chrome Webstore leaves me unimpressed; please don't tell me to just root my Chromebook).
- Working online GDrive in a Browser, and you're kind of underwhelmed by few and many poor or defunct options.

So, what options are really good?

Here's what text editors I'm either using, have used in past, or have considered using.
Chromebook:
  Great for working w. local plain text files.
  My primary Chromebook application for such; using it every single day.
  Both look decent for working w. source code. (I bookmarked both while doing research, a looong time ago)
  I've never gotten around to test either (one's a fork of the other), so, well, maybe.

Sidebar, Chromebook:
  Has anyone tried this one?

GDrive:
  The cleanest Editor GUI I've ever seen.
  I'm using this as my primary plain text editor, but can be used for some coding too.
  Hint: Press <F1> (Chromebook:: <Search>+<'1'>) or right-click, to get the "Command Palette".
        ("Command Palette": Also contains "Change Language Mode").
  Too slow & nagging on startup. Also too often undesirably creates a folder in root of GDrive.
  Oh, and then also doing an occasional freeze-up.
  I stopped using it. :-(

Note: I also use the Google Apps Script Editor, as provided by Google. But, knowing what forum I'm here writing in, then ... I don't really have to include that on any list, or attach any words to it.

Sidebar, Extensions:
  This one is slightly off-topic, but in same neighbourhood.
  Anyone remember the discontinued Google Notebook(?)
  : This one is better, though: I've only ever run it as an unregistered user, and off-line.
  I've experienced it as rock-solid: I've never lost any data with it, despite many hard Chromebook/ChromeOS & Chrome crashes.
.

Alan Wells

May 5, 2020, 7:36:56 AM5/5/20
to Google Apps Script Community